.17 hmr Savage I saw yesterday...

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by polishshooter, Sep 12, 2012.

1. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo New Member

Got 4 Hogs so far this year with my Marlin XT 17 HMR With a Boyds Evolution stock. Just shoot the smaller ones (150lbs and under) with it. One shot behind the ear is all it takes.

Attached Files:

2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Ky, you probably will need a 4x4, unless you get lucky and find a rancher with good land to drive on....

MOST of the Federal land is accessible with a 4x2 depending on the weather...the problem is with a little rain the "Two track" undeveloped roads run through some low spots that quickly turn into mud holes, and the big town we shot at this year we tried to get to last year but didn't chance one of the creeks we had to cross...THIS year it was unusually dry, so we got to it...not sure if we can next year...

My buddies are trying to get me to bring my old 4x4 Toyota PU with me next year with the RASS mounted in the back, making it look like some Libyan assault vehicle,:p but it would be a bear to drive that old thing 1600 miles, much LESS pay for the gas, since my company car costs me nothing up front....

But on the other hand the first time we met "our" rancher three years ago after a rainy spring, he got out of his BIG Dodge Ram and looked askance at the 1998 4Runner we had all loaded up, with New Jersey plates on it, and said he had a BIG town he would like shot, but he didn't know if our "rig" would make it....:p

We MADE it, yeah it helped the guy who owned it is a commercial instructor pilot, and gets kind of a maniacal look in his eyes when he asks if we think he can make it....

Then he backs up, slams it into low-low and gets all 4 cylinders whining until he gets into about 3rd gear bang shifting that old standard 5 speed and we go bouncing through the mud with the rifle cases bouncing off the ceiling AND my buddy in the back seat bitching about his bouncing "yarbles" :p:p:p

He is British, but I kind of know what he is yelling about:D

We have not got stuck yet, and that is why I decided to BUY my old Toyota...;) Considering he has owned it since he ordered it new and had it shipped to him in Guam when he was flying the Pacific route, and it has 175000 miles on it, still looks new, AND he drives it from New Jersey every year to abuse it in South Dakota!:eek:;):D:D

In fact, my NEXT car I buy for my wife just may be a 4Runner....
  3. polishshooter

And HEY, good news from the home front!

One of my sisters had gotten tied up in court about her share of the inheritance and the contract we had for selling Dad and Mom's house was on hold until we heard from the court...

I just heard from my oldest sister who is executor of the estate that the OK had come through, she forwarded everything to our attorney and the buyer's attorney, closing may happen next week...

Sad that the house my Dad built in 1946 after he got back from the war on land he was given by his Dad, and the extra acreage he bought around it on time from his Dad (going through the papers we found the receipt "paid in full" signed by Grandma after Grandpa died 6 months after I was born in 1958) will be gone...but while rural Western New York is a good place to grow up it is NO place to LIVE now....just glad we SOLD it before the November property taxes were due ;))

With our share my wife and I should be pretty much debt free after paying the bills, and the DIFFERENCE I can spend on a rifle...which may be enough to deal on the Sako...And every time I shoot it I will think of Dad and Mom....

My plan is the Sako....I will see what I can get it for, then spend the winter working up loads for it...the Leupold 12x is the same scope I have on the Swift so I will be used to it, while I send the other one back to Leupold to mount an elevation target turret on it to match my Swift load....

THEN I just found out tonight I earned my bonus for my Shrink Goals which I usually get every other year, LAST time I bought my Callaway clubs with and a few milsurp pistols....

SO when I get it next March I will THEN buy a Savage or Marlin .17hmr AND my Governor for snakes and just have to sight it in with factory ammo before South Dakota in June....and maybe do some work to the house for my wife too...

It is good to get old and more or less successfully get your kids raised as close as you can to become "Good Americans" and get both of them through college, and get your bills paid as much as you can after struggling so long pinching pennies....

To FINALLY get to afford to buy some good things for once....;)

I just hope I can leave enough to my kids when I'm gone that they can enjoy life as much as I do now ....but not a PENNY more, LOL;):D:D:D:D
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  4. polishshooter

SRT, that kind of looks like the stock on the "custom" CZ .17 HMR that just came out...I don't know if I really like it or I really DON'T....LOL It is kind of "racy" if you know what I mean....

What range are you shooting those hogs at and are they moving or still when you shoot?

And what ammo do you use?
  5. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Fair price, esp if he puts a warranty on the package including the scope. I have one,and the accu trigger is awesome!:) Cliff
  6. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

I have this model bought it because it was the first thumbhole that fit my big hands. I have taken two yotes with it but I use it mainly for squirrels. Out to 100 yards this is a squirrel dropping machine. Picture is with the suppressor on it but do to some stupid reasoning we are not able to use suppressors when hunting in Maine yet.

[​IMG]
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I want one in .22 Magnum