.17 hmr

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by donnie lee, Feb 29, 2012.

1. donnie lee

donnie lee New Member

How many round can you expect to fire in .17HMR, before accuracy is seriously effected? Is .17 effective for coyote, at say 200 yards? Is Ruger price justified over say Savage, with regard to accuracy, life of barrel etc.? Thought's, opinions?
  2. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I had a Savage and liked it very well. I shot well over 1000 rds. and had no problems with it as far as accuracy. I never shot a yote but did hit plenty of ground hogs and it did a number to them. only had 1 get back to it hole but never seen it agin.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

similar story here , 800-1000 rnd's fired no loss of accuracy , just very expencive ammo and because i eat what i shoot or want the pelts in one piece i went back to .22 wmr

does a job on wild dogs at 250 meters
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Coyote? Depends on how big they run in your part of the country.
    Here in ND & SD, 100yds or so...maybe 150yds if you're 100% sure on shot placement.
    That's stretching the limits of the little rimfire zinger though, there isn't much energy left out that far and if you're on a big coyote it won't anchor him.

I don't own an .17HMR but a few of my friends aren't reloaders do. They don't really notice that it costs more to shoot their .17s than it cost me to shoot my .204 or .223.
    I can't say how long the barrel life is supposed to be on the .17...it's not a real high-pressure, hot burning round so I'd guess a barrel will last a long time.
  5. Shedhorn

Shedhorn New Member

how many shots between cleanings varies from gun to gun. Barrel condition and quality will be deciding factors.
    In my experience and this is mine only, the savages have been more consistent shooters than the rugers. I'm talk about accuracy, and there are no doubt others who experience the exact opposite. To be fair, we sell far more savages than rugers but get few complaints about the savage accuracy.