17 Hornaday Magnum RF

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/1/02 7:43:58 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 17 Hornaday Magnum RF
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    this round seems to be getting quite a bit "buzz" in the various gun rags these days anyone here have any "real-life" experiences with this round? I don't see one in my future, too likely to be obselete with ammo unavaible

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/1/02 2:47:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 17 Hornaday Magnum RF
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It does perk the interest, but I too have your concerns about its longevity.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/1/02 6:53:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 17 Hornaday Magnum RF
    Remember the 5mm Remington RF? Heh, heh, heh!

No, seriously - the 17 Hornady is probably a really good round......unless - you already own a .22 WRF!

Can't see trading my .22 mags off just to acquire the .17 Hornady. The .17 is a bit faster out to 100 yds. After that, the ol' .22 WRF takes over and out shines it.

Great to stimulate the arms and ammo sales, tho!!!!

nevada paul
    (6/5/02 12:10:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 17HRM
    I just got an email from a buddy who bought one of the first ones he could find. His is the Marlin 17V. He attached a scan of a target shot at 100 yards with 7 shots. The spread was probably no more than .75 inches. He is a good bench shooter, but that is pretty good for any 'out of the box' gun. He is sold on it, even with the high price of ammo.
    He states that the rifle has a trigger pull of 8 pounds, and that he will attempt to correct that, but otherwise is obviously needs no tweaking.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/5/02 11:05:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 17HRM
    I'm sure as time goes by the arms makers will bring out firearms that will have all the required accuracy options. In fact, that Marlin doesn't have the standard "Microgroove" barrel on it - they are installing another barrel maker's product!

Tell your Bud "Congrats" on the fine shooting. I agree, $10 a box is about twice that of the .22 WRFM, so I'll just keep plugging along with my 77/22 version.

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/7/02 5:58:57 pm)
    I have seen both Marlins product and Rugers. I prefer the Marlin at $250 to Rugers $400. Both rifles that I shot were exceptionally accurate. Only fly in the ointment is cost of ammo. swede
    Wyoming Swede

Rich in Lincoln
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/13/02 1:34:58 pm)
    My old boss just bought one for himself (Marlin 17V) and one for his brother (New England Arms (Marlin now) and he says he loves them. I’ll find out on Saturday because he’s coming up to show off! I can’t wait! He says that the New England is the better shooter with that bull barrel…go figure.

As far as how popular it is going to become; my local gun shop in our small town has 5 Rugers, 5 Marlins and two (I think) Kimbers on order. They are all spoken for already! My buddy in San Jose says it the same story there. Time will tell.
    -Rich

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/3/02 5:47:25 pm)
    Had a friend tell me that they were selling .17 HMR new England Arms single shots for $130 each out of Scheels in Sioux Falls. That could be a cheap way to check the cartridge out. If you didnt like it you could sell it at a garage sale for probably more than you paid for it anyway. swede
    Wyoming Swede

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/3/02 11:49:07 pm)
    Guy came out to the gunrange yesterday with a gussied up Ruger bolt gun in .17 Hornady (scope and all, probably had near a grand tied up in it) and shot a 1 1/2" 100 yd group. Was tickled to death with the "tack driver" and couldn't wait until he had a chance to use it on "dogs".

Waal - my little Ruger 77/22 bolt gun in .22 Mag will shoot that good and won't cost but half as much to feed it. Guess I'll just keep the ol' .22 maggie and let the young hotbloods buy up them expensive .17's.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/4/02 8:27:09 am)
    Amazing how those flavors of the month get around, aint it Ken? If you dont have a short magnum, you are just not with the program right??

I will confess that I did pick up a flavor of the month gun when it came out. I bought a Marlin Guide gun in 45-70. It did fulfill the purpose I intended (shorter distance horse hunting) but I wish now that I had waited for the stainless version.

Bet you can get some super buys on used 7 Rem Mags & 300 Win Mags right now.

swede
    Wyoming Swede

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/4/02 3:01:14 pm)
    Yep, Swede -

Those new (old) ideas of the marketing people and rag writer's sure hype the newcomers!

Read an article in Rifle magazine the other day that pretty well says it all - most of these "new" cartridges were actually developed years ago, but restricted powder/bullet selections and poor marketing killed them off, only to be ressurected at a later time.

Speaking of Marlin 45-70's, Ol' Cointoss and I have latched onto a couple recently and have been having a ball getting our eyeballs rattled around in their sockets by them! I've grown so fond of mine, I hardly shoot anything else and plan on using it for New Mex mule deer and (hopefully) Ariz elk this fall. Using a 350 Hornady RN loaded to just over 2,000 fps, that sucker hits like a ton of bricks out to 150 yds!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/5/02 7:58:37 am)
    Yep Swede......but .45-70 has been around for 130 years, will probably be around for another 130, and is reloadable. It's also a useful hunting round.

Hardly the same thing as these WunderMouseGunRimfires.