1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

17 Magnum Rim fire cartridge

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Rich in Lincoln
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/11/02 9:14:56 pm)
    Reply 17 Magnum Rim fire cartridge
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dose anybody have a new rifle chambered for this new rim fire? If so, how do you like it? It sounds kind of cool. A little .17 boat tail bullet moving at 2500fps sounds fun. I was looking at a Marlin in SS.

P.S. I know it's not a .22 but it's still a rimfire

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/13/02 12:55:31 pm)
    Reply Re: 17 Magnum Rim fire cartridge
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rich, there's a thread about the 17 HRF in the Ammo & Reloading forum hope this helps

ZiggyTheMauserGuy
    (6/29/02 9:57:45 pm)
    Just got one yesterday, shoots great. Trigger is heavy, approx. 9lbs and the included scope rings are too low for much of a scope. I was able to shoot a 15rd group @ 100 yds measuring 1 1/8". I "adjusted" the trigger (replaced larger spring with a lighter one) and threw on some Millet high rise mounts for one of my better scopes. I feel confident I will easily shot 3/4 - 1" @ 100 from now on.
    Oh, with 15 round groups even.
    Gary M

mad5757
    (7/1/02 1:23:30 pm)
    If they are that accurate, then why haven't they shown up at IR 50/50 matches? You hear the same stories about incredible accuracy from 10-22's but I never see one at our benchrest matches. If you can easilly shoot 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards then you will win any competition I have ever attended and competed in.
    Am I missing something here?
    Mad`

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/1/02 1:57:10 pm)
    I have heard great results at 100 yards and much better than 1". A .22 mag will do the same. Where they loose me is the claimed 150-200 yard line. Claims of 1" still with the flyweight .17 grain bullet. Drop is excessive and a 5mph wind will drift it over six inches. It has replaced nothing, but na-sayers claim , it`s here to stay. What does it do better, noone damn thing.....just has cute little bullets. LTS

ps/ BUT WAIT!!! a 20 grain bullet is on the horizon!!!!!!!!

BIG WOO.......

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/1/02 7:11:50 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: 17 Magnum Rim fire cartridge
    What is a ir 50/50 match?

LTS don't ya know nuthin. That extra 3 grains will make that itty bitty thing an elephant gun out to a mile.
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/1/02 7:36:59 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Welcome Aboard ZiggyTheMauserGuy!

Please join us as often as you like at TFF!

TFF VMBB Email Tac

mad5757
    (7/1/02 8:52:23 pm)
    IR 50/50 is one of six organizations that sponsor rimfire rifle competitions.

www.ir5050.com/

Edited by: mad5757 at: 7/1/02 9:53:05 pm

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/1/02 9:08:37 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Welcome to you too mad5757!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/2/02 7:25:50 am)
    Ah yes.....the latest Wundermousecartridge the gun mag writers love to wax poetic about.

Capable of taking everything from Japanese Beetles to rogue elephants!

Expensive to shoot, non-reloadable, and of very limited use. Hope you enjoy that gun while ammo is available, 'cause pretty soon, when the hype wears off, you'll have a neat wall hanger.

Sorry to be so negative, but I've been around a long, long time, and I've seen this same scenario play out time and time again.

Vibe77
    (7/2/02 10:33:11 pm)
    Fredneck said
    "Rich, there's a thread about the 17 HRF in the Ammo & Reloading forum hope this helps"

No there isn't, or if there is it's wrong...it's the 17HMR (Hornady Magnum Rimfire) (AKA HuMmeR)

Mad5757 said
    "If they are that accurate, then why haven't they shown up at IR 50/50 matches? "

1) because the IR50/50 rules are for 22LR only magnums of any flavor are not legal.
    2) The supply has been running way behind the demand, with some people having waited 6-8 months still not having rifle and/or ammunition.

LTS said
    "I have heard great results at 100 yards and much better than 1". A .22 mag will do the same. Where they loose me is the claimed 150-200 yard line. Claims of 1" still with the flyweight .17 grain bullet. Drop is excessive and a 5mph wind will drift it over six inches. It has replaced nothing, but na-sayers claim , it`s here to stay. What does it do better, noone damn thing.....just has cute little bullets. LTS"

and got almost everything backwards. (Which is unusual for him)
    22 Mag will not generally do the same,
    Drop is MUCH less than 22 Mag, as is wind drift in a 5mph breeze. Which is exactly what it does better.

Warpig asked
    "What is a ir 50/50 match?

A rimfire benchrest competition santioned by the USRA organization. 25 shots for score at 50 yards and/or 50 meters, one shot per record bullseye, 3 sighters are also on the target. 20 minute time limit per match. For more info go to Benchrest.com and click on the IR50/50 logo (www.ir5050.com/)

Xracer wrote
    "Expensive to shoot, non-reloadable, and of very limited use. Hope you enjoy that gun while ammo is available, 'cause pretty soon, when the hype wears off, you'll have a neat wall hanger."
    "Sorry to be so negative, but I've been around a long, long time, and I've seen this same scenario play out time and time again. "

Expensive? Maybe, for now. But not as expensive as a good 22LR rifle shooting match ammunition. Which is the only way to come close to the same accuracy.
    Limited use? No more so than 22LR, and at much greater ranges.
    Wall hanger? I don't think so. Not so long as there are 22 magnum cases (even if you have to pull bullets), Lil Gun powder, and 17 caliber bullets. LOL. This cartridge was being wildcatted from these components BEFORE the 17HMR came out, and can be done again if need be. You apparently thought it suffered the same fatal flaws as the 5mm Rem Mag with it's unique case dimensions and unique tooling requirements. The 17HMR avoids both of these flaws. But the 5mm Craig made use of them, so even the 591 and 592 5mm Remingtons are no longer "wall hangers" and are in fact getting between 2500 and 2600 fps with 30 grain bullets. Remington bringing the 5mm back would be the only real threat to the 17HMR.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/2/02 10:42:51 pm)
    Hary-har-har Your basic shooter of rimfire does "NOT" shoot match ammo and match ammo accounts for a tiny amount of the rimfire market....TINY! Man some have been snowed so deep, they`ll never come up.

Glad I have stock piled 100,00 rounds of that stuff.....gonna be rich.

The last twenty plus years the .22 mag has had limited success....why? Main reason...COST!!!

Now with cheaper cost and better rifles, it is begining to go down in cost and quality. Oh sure....the .17HRM is just going to jump right out there at three times the price......Okey-dokey.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/2/02 11:58:24 pm)
    Hey Vibe77
    just went to check if that thread on the 17 HMR (or HFR or HRM have seen each used in the gun rags) had been poofed. . . nope it's still there . . . need I say more????????????

Vibe77
    (7/3/02 10:06:44 pm)
    (or HFR or HRM have seen each used in the gun rags)

But what does it say on the ammo BOX?

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/4/02 6:31:08 am)
    And leave us not forget the "pros" at brand x taking out whitetails (in the ear) at 1000 yds with this formidable piece of.................destruction?

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/4/02 1:35:12 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Interesting thread, are there any proven shooter statistics
    on this rifle?
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/4/02 2:48:46 pm)
    Only what I've personally seen at the gunrange, TAC -

Smallest 100 yd group I've seen with the .l7 HRM has been around 1 1/2" out of a high dollar Ruger/scope combo. 'Course, we've been having 5 - 15 mph cross winds during this time and maybe this has had a little something to do with the 17 gr pill getting to 100 yds!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Vibe77
    (7/6/02 11:44:26 pm)
    Whitetails? at 1000 yrds? with a 17RIMFIRE?
    I don't bloody well think so!!

Deer with a 17? Yes...17 Rem. centerfire at 600 yards maybe
    targets at 1000 yards with a 17? Again yes, and again with the 17 Rem centerfire.

But to confuse the 17HMR with the 17 Rem or any other 17 centerfire would be the worst case of misinformation.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/7/02 8:47:25 am)
    It`s a JOKE, just like 1,000 yards with the centerfire .17

Come on............

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/7/02 10:43:48 am)
    ezSupporter
    I wonder what the energy of a 17 ANYTHING is at 1000 yards. Can't hardly be enough to penetrate anything could it?
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/7/02 10:49:48 am)
    anyone got some ballistic software? what would the hold-over be for 1000 yds? and energy?

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/7/02 10:51:50 am)
    Well the drop is over 40 FEET I guess if you have a big enough target, you can hit it. Texas comes to mind, kinda big. Will now remove myself from the floor and dust off. LTS

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/7/02 12:01:39 pm)
    Well said, Mike!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/7/02 10:51:50 am)
    Well the drop is over 40 FEET I guess if you have a big enough target, you can hit it. Texas comes to mind, kinda big. Will now remove myself from the floor and dust off. LTS

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/7/02 12:01:39 pm)
    Well said, Mike!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"