.17 Rimfire

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

nighthawksh
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/9/02 2:36:32 pm)
    Reply .17 Rimfire
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anybody out there have first hand opinion/experience with this new cartridge?

I see Ruger and Marlin are offering a rifle in this. Opinions?

thanks

Stan H ,, nighthawk

"Those willing to give up freedom in exchange for security will soon discover they have neither"

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/9/02 2:44:05 pm)
    Reply Re: .17 Rimfire
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The most recent edition of "Hunting" magazine has an article on it. Effective small critter round to about 100 yards, gets iffish at 200 yards.

Ask LTS about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/9/02 2:56:09 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: .17 Rimfire
    There's a thread on this in our rimfire forum!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

nighthawksh
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/9/02 3:03:51 pm)
    tac..sorry on that,,must have been asleep at the wheel,,,

go ahead and delete or move this,,,

thanks
    Stan H ,, nighthawk

"Those willing to give up freedom in exchange for security will soon discover they have neither"

Vibe77
    (7/9/02 9:02:10 pm)
    Ruger and Marlin (and NEF), and Anshutz, and Cooper, And Thompson Center, and Volquartsen....etc. Savage has said that they are even considering getting in on it. I'm sure I left out a few that I have heard mentioned. And aftermarket conversions for existing 22 magnums as well.

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/10/02 9:10:21 am)
    Convert a 22 mag?? SACRILEDGE!!! just ask LTS

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/10/02 9:27:27 am)
    Always need trotline weights........IB, always. LTS

Vibe77
    (7/10/02 8:18:55 pm)
    Sacrelige or not, one of my next conversions to centerfire will be a 22 magnum. I got some 5.7x28FN cases to play with, shorten to 22 magnum case length.(only aboout 2mm trimmed) load with 33 grain up to 45 or 50 grain 22 slugs. Lil Gun should work great here. LOL...Looking for 3000fps hehehe.

And 17 calibers are on that list too.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/10/02 8:21:57 pm)
    huh?

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/10/02 10:33:53 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: .17 Rimfire
    No sweat Hawk!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/11/02 12:24:45 pm)
    Vibe, let us no how it works out.....if yore able to.......

Vibe77
    (7/12/02 10:48:34 pm)
    No prob ibtrukn. I've got the cases (with a lead on a consistent source). I've also started building up the tooling needed to build the dies for these larger cases. I will probably build it up on a Romainian to start with. The only drawback is that now I will have to go through the WHOLE powder selection work up all over again. (LOL And I hadn't completely exhausted the possibilities with the 25ACP/22 Cricket yet). Rimfire bolt actions are wonderfully overdesigned for what they are subjected to.

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/25/02 3:13:36 pm)
    17 horneedee, the choice of dedicated hunters at brand x good on whitetail out to 1000 yds. Jus ast them....

mrmarklin
    (9/20/02 11:41:31 pm)
    Reply Re: .17
    Unlike the commentators above, I actually own two firearms in this caliber, and my son just bought a Ruger77/17 that I test fired today. The first three sight in shots ever from this rifle (for purposes of aligning the scope) were a group of 1/2" at 100Yds.
    I have an Anschutz 1717D in .17 HMR, and 1/2" groups at 100 yds are the norm, and I have shot smaller ones. I have also hunted extensively ground squirrels with this rifle. Having sighted in a 3/4 in. high at 100 yds, I have shot ground squirrels at 140 yds with no holdover. My average shot so far has been around 80-110 yds, and the gun is flat-shooting enough to aim with no holdover. There is plenty of power for varmints of this size, and the trajectory of this round will ensure its popularity for a long time to come.

My other firearm is a T/C Contender w/ 14" barrel in this caliber. With a 3-9x T/C scope, I have no problem getting sub MOA groups at 100 Yds. Have not yet hunted with this gun.

I wouldn't reccommend hunting deer or similar game with this cartridge as some have facetiously suggested..............

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/21/02 8:58:54 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: .17
    I don't think anyone has said it is not accurate.

I have only been saying that there are other calibers that do the same thing cheaper and better.

Gary O
    (9/22/02 11:16:32 am)
    Try to stick with folks who have actual experience with shooting this round. There seems to be a small group of people who are threatened by the exsistance of the 17. Usually 22 mag fans. Instead of facts and experience, they use sarcasm or weak attempts at humor. While this might be intresting, it does'nt help. There are others who slam it because of its use for tasks never envisioned by its designers. Positive reports are many concerning accuracy and effectiveness on small critters out to 150 yards. If that is your intended use, go to some of the other websites where thier experience might be helpfull.
    Try:
    rimfirecentral.com,
    benchrest.com/rimfire,
    varminthunters.com

Good luck!

Edited by: Gary O at: 9/22/02 12:55:51 pm

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/22/02 12:59:25 pm)
    I wood feel threatened by a Daisey Red Ryder......in the proper hands. Sarcasm an weak attemps at humor? U betcha, but will try to strenghten any attemps at humor.
    Lighten up y'all. Don't take life (here) so seriously. There are many MANY things out in the big bad world to actually worry about.
    If I have stepped on any tender toes or offended any dedicated gunslingers, in the words of the mortal LTS.....

BITE ME!! ibtrukn...TFF

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/22/02 1:43:29 pm)
    A little first hand experience -

Working as a rangemaster at a local (and large) gun range, I've seen the .17 Hornady shooters and the .22 Mag shooter in profusion.

Opinion -

The .17 Hornady is a fair round to consider out to 150 yds for SMALL varmits.

Anything above a 5 mph crosswind affects the 17 grain bullet adversely.

The .17 Hornady appears more accurate than the standard .22 Mag at any given distance up to 200 yds, providing the aforementioned crosswind is not present.

The .17 Hornady round cost 20 cents apiece - the .22 Mag runs around half that. Neither are reloadable. The .22 Mag folks shoot twice as much and have just as much satisfaction at the end of their shooting sessions as the .17 shooters.

I still wonder if the .17 Hornady will go the route of the 5mm Remington Mag of a few years ago.

"Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Gary O
    (9/22/02 4:09:12 pm)
    Seems like high cost, wind deflection or lack of current availability will not stop folks from trying the 17HMR. High velocity, flat trajectory and explosive bullet performance seems to be winning the day. Ammo cost is down under $8.00 and falling. Out here in the West, so many ground squirrels that need to be shot; the 17HMR is certainly welcome.