173rd Abn Bde

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Photo Album' started by moorej, Feb 21, 2010.

1. moorej

moorej New Member

Did my tour from Jul 69 to Aug 71 with 1st Bn 173rd until transferred to Bde HQ prior to coming back to Ft Campbell in 1971, and then inactivated and became the 3rd Bde 101st.

Took me a long time for forgive the American public, because of what they thought of us, but now they have something else to go against like the ongoing war. Folks never change.

Retired Army SFC 1967-1991 and proud American soldier and still serving by working with the Army units that kill the bad guys for us.
    Airborneguy likes this.
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Me too, welcome to TFF!!!

I lost a good friend that was with the "herd", sad deal.

Snakedriver, 1st Cav.& 1st Avn. Bde. - RVN '72 & '73
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  3. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    Welcome Army....Have a grandson who will be going Army sometime in April...Of course, my being partial to Navy, I tried to convince him, but his wife is an Army Vet and I suspect she had a lot to do with his choice of service. Now, please stick around and tell us what's going on for you these days...your present association with the Army sounds interesting...Chief
  4. Riverrat1969

Riverrat1969 New Member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  5. Riverrat1969

Riverrat1969 New Member

Moorej, did you know Kirk Feres, or his brother, Joe? I went through basic with Kirk at Fort Benning in 1968, and worked with his brother, until I retired in 2002.
  6. 199er

199er New Member

Ditto for me too..........but I'm not completely free of that albatross yet.

VN 68-71
    Grunt, A/7/17 Cav
    Grunt, B/5/12 Inf, 199th LIB
    ARVN Ranger Advisor, 38th Rgr Bn, 5th ARVN Rgr Group
  7. Recon 173

Recon 173 Member

First Battalion, L.Z. Uplift here. I don't want to forget what was done to us. I want to remember it for all times so that the paratroopers who come after me won't have to go through what I had to endure. I lost so much because of Viet Nam. So very much. I wouldn't have missed it for the world nor wished it on my worst enemy but the cost was just too much in some aspects of my life. In some ways it was good and other ways it was bad. But I used what I learned over there to do a whole lot of good back here and even saved a couple of lives. So, yeah, the trip WAS necessary.
  8. berto64

berto64 Active Member

RVN 69-71. I too have that albatross hanging around me. First trip home as a 19 yr old country boy from New Mexico and this guy comes up to me outside the mens room in the airport. Took me a while but it dawned on me this dude is a Faggot!

That first leave home started off bad for me right there.
  9. siplace

siplace New Member

I don't know who said it but there is a quote that sums up my feelings.

" It is human to be anti-war, it is unacceptable to be anti-soldier."

My thanks to you gentlemen for your service.
  10. Recon 173

Recon 173 Member

Here's a couple of photos of me in Viet Nam. The top one is me with a wild pig that I shot while on a patrol. I used my sniper rifle to nail the pig. I used one round of National Match 7.62 NATO ammo. The second photo was taken just before I was going on my very first recon team mission. I found out that I could go on the recon mission at the very last minute so I had like 20 minutes to get all my gear, food, water and war paint on in a hurry.

Attached Files:

Airborneguy likes this.
  11. Airborneguy

Airborneguy Well-Known Member