1740 French Flintlock?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kplyler, Apr 29, 2011.

1. kplyler

kplyler New Member

I am a newbie on this forum. I got this gn from my great uncle in 1996 (he passed a few years later). He told me someone traded it to him in the late 1930's. Its been in the bottom of on gun case or another since then. I am an avid hunter, and collector, but I have no idea about a gun like this. What is it, and what could it be worth. I took it to an antique firearms place in town several years ago. They told me it was a French made ~1740s double flintlock. I see no proof marks or any identifying marks on it. Any one know much about it, or where I might go to find out? I'm also, of course interested in knowing what it is worth. Thanks. When I showed it to the dealer, I mentioned I did not think it was in great shape. He came back and said its probably in better shape than the first 10 guys who owned it.

Specifics: The stock has a crack all the way through at the trigger guad. Both locks will thumb back, The left is rather sticky, the right more smooth. The springs appear to work, the triggers pull back, but do not release the hammers on either side, so something may not be right inside. Ram rod is broken. As for bluing, I don't know if they used it back then. Metal looks good (no significant pitting). I attached 4 medium res pictures, and will attach 4 more to a followup post. The grey fuz is actually dust.

Attached Files:

2. kplyler

kplyler New Member

Additional photos. They are all 1meg or less each, so that should keep me well under the 4 x 3meg limit.

Attached Files:

3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

It's in pretty poor shape. The inletting is bad around the locks and trigger guard. The left barrel is eaten through at the muzzle. Not much value. IMHO maybe a couple hundred. There's probably proof marks under the barrels but with the stock in the shape it's in I don't think I'd want to try to get them off.
  4. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Probably good advice not to take it apart in the shape it's in - except by someone knowledgable about old flinters. Agree it's probably French, mid 1700s. I am a restorer and would pay $400 for it as-is. Restored worth twice that, maybe more.
  5. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

Double barreled flitlocks are not all that common. Yours is a good candidate for restoration. Ramrods are easy to replace, the split in the stock is unfortunate, but not uncommon in this type of pistol, the wood is somewhat thin in the lock mortise areas, but again a good restorer can repair it. Same thing with the locks, clean and repair. The left barrel will need some help with that spot on the muzzle. I have seen similar pieces in NY and Ct go for substantial money, and examples in VG to Ex. condition, well lets just say the wife won't let me re-mortgage the place.