17hmr max range

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by MOS0311, Dec 24, 2007.

1. MOS0311

MOS0311 New Member

Just bought a Savage 17hmr with accu trigger and thumb hole stock.
    (didnt shoot it yet) And I was wondering what its max range is. I heard you could hit a bird sized target at 200yds.
  2. Millwright

Millwright Active Member

Hmmmm,,,,, I submit "max range" is quite a different critter than you're really asking for.....Which I take it, is maximum accuracy range.

IMO, the latter is very much dependent upon both the arm and the skills of the user - with the latter taking precedence. I.e. one guy can't hit a pie plate at 150 yds - yet another can hammer in <1" groups all day long.......

FWLIW, since I don't own and haven't shot one, I'd opine groups would tend to open up after the bullet goes subsonic - at whatever range that is.... >MW
  3. MOS0311

MOS0311 New Member

yeah i should've asked for max range on a point target. max range for a 17hmr is probably over a 1000m.
  4. torpedoman

torpedoman New Member

very accurate out to 150 yds if no wind in moving. Ammo dependant you have to shoot everything made in all the weights to find what your gun likes
  5. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

I've got a Savage model 93 and it is a tack driver out to 150 yds. In wind past 150 with wind you really have to know your gun and how it performs with the round you have in it. With no wind, I've had sub 3" groups out to 300 yds.

Oh and as mentioned shoot all the brands. I went through just about everything made before I settled on one the was consistent out of my rifle. One friend has the same rifle and shoots a different brand and weight.

Jake
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  6. MOS0311

MOS0311 New Member

thanks thats good to know.
    would you say these graphs are somewhat accurate?
    [​IMG]
    windage graph
    [​IMG]
  7. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

I can't attest to the accuracy of the graphs, but they are very interesting. I have never been a fan of the 17s because of their poor terminal ballistics. Given my type of shooting - 50-100 yds - I think I did the right thing sticking to 22LR.

In your case, however, consider BSA's Sweet 17 Series rifle scope. It is made for the 17HMR and is compensated from 100-300 yds. Birds at 200 yds will be at your mercy. A 3-12X40mm at Midway is less than $100. Have fun!
  8. MOS0311

MOS0311 New Member

haha thanks.
    just what I was looking for!
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  9. StandOut

StandOut New Member

I felt the very same way,, I had read about the 17, but yawned, until I shot a 17 HMR last week, all of my shooting of small game "was" under 100 yds,, but even out to 100 you had to really watch your range with a LR,, and adjust for it,, don't have to do that with a 17, another problem is the LR bullets skipping off of everything,, again not a problem with the 17, as far as clean kills, the 17 hands down over the LR.

I have 20, 22 rifles, I will now only hunt with one either using shorts or CB caps (very close range) , all of my other hunting I was doing with a 22 will now be done with a 17 HMR. I will still plink with my 22's, and teach others to shoot with them, but with less than a week shooting the 17 HMR, and just one day hunting with it,, no way will I go back.

What ever you do, DON'T EVER SHOOT A 17, what ever you thought you knew about 22 rim fires, and loved about them, will be lost forever. It's like dumping your wife for Miss America :D
  10. midnight_cougar

midnight_cougar New Member

i shot a steel rim with my .22mag vmax and it left a nice indent and it and ripped about a halfmoon in it at 50 yards
    Then i shot it with a .17 hmr hornady and it punctured right through it at 50 yards

Heres a site that is all about the 17hmr you should check it out when ya have some time he tests it by shooting a variety of penetration tests, the graghs shown above and alot more, as well as all the information you can think of and then some. killing ground squirrels up to about 300 yards. this should help
    http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm
  11. 747mech

747mech New Member

I have the Savage 9317bvss. I love it. You need tall rings for a 40mm scope, though. It should go at least 200yds supersonic.
    I'm picking up a Taurus 17 revolver. Should be fun.
  12. MOS0311

MOS0311 New Member

why tall rings?
  13. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Simple: The scope, at its largest, is 40mm. That means you have to have rings tall enough so that will clear the rifle. Hence, "tall rings."
  14. kmcall20

kmcall20 New Member

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  15. thakidc

thakidc New Member

So which ones louuder because a 22 short is like someone clapping, and the 17hmr is based off of 22 mag shells right? and how does the other 17 round do i think its something like 17 machII, is that quieter/cheaper?
  16. Gunhammer

Gunhammer New Member

lol i agree with your last paragraph standout
  17. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

I have personally seen a Crow taken at 500 yards by my friend Brandon with my Savage 93R and my buddy Ben killed a beaver at 400 with a 17HMR it is an amazing round.
  18. Red84

Red84 New Member

Far be it from me to say it it has not been done, or cannot be done, but at that range it is well under about 30 ft/lbs and has already dropped almost 4 feet. That is quite a shot in both instances...
  19. Gunhammer

Gunhammer New Member

17 hmr and my girls

i recently acquired a brand new 17hmr from my cousin since he never shot it and was going to sell it, so i said what the heck. i took it out and sighted it in at 100 yrds, i thought wow cool little gun, not to mention its a gorgeous pepper grain wood stock, stainless barrel, scope matches barrel of course, very nice system. i decided to go out and shoot it again and my 5 daughters ages 19,16,13,12,10 and my wife, (which i wont mention her age since i dont want to get into trouble for telling people thats she's 35, so i wont disclose her age ; )) decided they wanted to go with, i was like wow, ok lets go.

once we were at the range i shot the four round clip and out of a few hundred rounds and cleaning it after every 20 rounds i believe i only shot the newly acquired system once. now every weekend the girls are wanting to go shoot the 17, THEY LOVE IT! i dont ever get to shoot it, but i get to make sure of gun safety, and now they know how to reload it, clean it and inspect it. its kinda weird cuz the girls never really had any desire for this type of pure clean fun, now they are bringing their friends. now they are always asking to go every weekend to go out and shoot, its a plus, dad gets to spend quality time with the family.

one day at the range we sat up targets about 175 yards, i wanted to see what this thing could do, so of course the girls wanted to try, and of course the girls out shot dad, go girls. as we were shooting the older girls and mom were giggling and were shooting all around the target on the ground on the back stop of the dirt hillside, i was like why in the heck did they go from lil snipers to blind snipers from hitting bulls eyes to not even hitting the target, i grabbed my binoculars and looked and to see what was down there, they were shooting at lil ground mice, i was like how in the heck can you see them lil pests. but i guess, start em small and who knows i maybe taking them deer hunting next.

this 17 hmr did one thing for me, it opened another door with me and my girls, we are a very close family, but now even more closer. they were never really into shooting because they have heard and seen my other guns recoil like the 300 weatherby mag and they thought heck no, but this opened a whole new door, now they are asking about larger calibers that dont have big recoil. so im in a win win situation.
  20. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

your telling me but i wouldnt belive it if some one told it to me either!! i guess you have to see it for your self to understand!Me and brandon were walkin around his land plinking random crap when he spotted the crow with his Ruger 10/22 on opposing fence 500 yards away he said i bet i can get that crow with your 17 so i handed it to him and he put it on the fence and started shooting 8 shots later the crow hit the ground we walked over and sure enough DEAD BIRDIE!!! As for my Buddy Ben he is a former Marine DI and a damn good shot and i have confidence in what he tells also i saw pictures of the beaver i will see if he will let me borrow them so i can upload them! His first shot fell short and hit the water and the beaver didnt move and the second shot hit him in his spine and he than later took the beaver home and had him for dinner!