The Firearms Forum banner

.17HMR sighting in problems

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  22WRF 
#1 ·
I'm hoping someone can help me out with a problem I have been unable to correct. I have a savage .17HMR with a Bushnell Sportview 3-9x. I used a gun rest and shot a group of five shots at 50 yards, all of which were in the bullseye. I shot again today but at 100 yards and my groups started out 3 inches high and then consistantly shot to the left. I have been using a gun rest and am an experience shooter but can't seem to figure out what the problem is. I know the 17 is acurate way past 50 yards and hope I can fix this problem. Any help or advice from anyone would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Sounds like scope parallax. Does it have an adjustable objective? Is any part of the barrel touching the rest?

Most centerfire scopes have their parallax adjusted for 100 yards. When you buy a specific rimfire scope, it is adjusted for 50 yards. If you are going to shoot at 100 yards, rezero the rifle for 100 yards and you will be good to go. Other than that, if you keep going from 100 to 50 yards, you will either need to rezero or buy a scope that has an adjustable objective lens.

#3 ·
I think your right on IPTX
I had a Bushnell Sportview and on a 22LR and had the same problems with the parallax.

I would recommend the BSA Sweet 17 Rifle Scope 2-7x32mm sells discounted for about $70

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.