.17hmr Suppressor!!

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by winkly, Apr 27, 2009.

1. winkly

winkly New Member

Hi
    I've recently bought a CZ17hmr rifle. It came factory threaded and my .22lr suppressor is rated for the .17hmr and it fitted really well.

However....in the last week, much to my surprise I started to miss bunnys by as much as a 6 inches!! (lots of 'pinging' around them!)

So, took the rifle to a nice long field and set up my target at 100yds....and didn't even hit it!! At 50yds I wasn't just missing....I was poking holes in the wood around the target completly randomly!

I removed the suppressor and.....5 shots in an inch!

I was curious if anyone else had the same problem and if they managed to sort it out?
  2. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

A .22LR rated for a .17HMR, while this may be a question; it is also stupid.
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I think you may have been informed on your supressor. What model is it?
  4. winkly

winkly New Member

Well, 'Toohsotkil', I'm not sure I undertand what you mean by 'stupid', please, do continue...

And 'Big ugly', I'll have a look tomorrow, but I get the feeling from both of you're replys that you don't agree with the .22 and .17hmr suppressor ratings??????
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The only thingI would wonder would be if you had said that the suppressor came off a .17 and you put it on a .22. However you did NOT say that, so I can see the supressor being rated for both.

Have you cleaned it? Does it disassmble to allow cleaning of the can and baffles.?

Pops
  6. winkly

winkly New Member

Hi armedandsafe, yes it does come apart, I have cleaned it before, I suppose it was cleaned maybe '20 rounds' before my problem started. If I have to clean it every 20 rounds, it's going to be a bit of a pain though.

I actually tried my friends suppressor from his .223, I can't remember the make of it I'm afraid, and I had exactly the same problem of 'random hitting' whereas he was taking perfect shots on target at 150yds with it on his rifle. Prehaps the .17hmr just doesn't like suppressors?
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

This was unnecessary.

I'm wondering if you've checked the .17 with a chronograph with and without the suppressor. It seems possible that the suppressor is slowing down the bullet too much and causing it to lose its stability. The 17 grain bullet is much easier to throw off than the .22 LR or .223, which are generally twice and thrice the weight, respectively.

I don't have any idea if this is really the case; I'm just throwing out the first thing I thought of.
  8. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Liktoshoot has always been that way regardless of which account he is hiding behind...

Crpdeth
  9. Enfield

Enfield New Member

Hi Winkly
    I don't think that your question was stupid however I would not say the same of some of the answers :D

I have built a few suppressors now (over 30 I guess) and been quite successful, most of mine have been for 22's and the only time I have found a problem is when the bullet is hitting inside the unit. Now I am no expert but I have read up a lot and only found that the path of the bullet is effected if it hits something - I guess that you could have some long range issues if some of the propelling gasses are controlled but in the first instance I would look at the mounting of the unit to the gun (is it really secure) and are there any signs inside of a scuff.

Now you must understand that if the bullet is supersonic then it will make a loud crack once it has left the gun (and suppressor) so all you will be doing is controlling the muzzel blast. I have lots of test data (decibel readings) on my suppressed 22's if you want to look into it further

Cheers

Enfield
  10. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I agree with enfield...look at the very end of the suppressor and see if it is dinged, scratched or scraped from the bullet hitting the suppressor. The threading on the end of the barrel may be off. It could be off a hair and since the 22 is larger, the pressure from behind the bullet may be pushing it off when it goes into the suppressor.

Good luck

J
  11. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

We`ll hold on to this comment as it has absolutely no value and I will attempt to stay inbounds and not become BANNED as warned/threatened by my above statement. By the way, try to source the "LIKTOSHOOT" moniker.......Hiding? pretty good job......eh?
  12. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

+:p
    Last edited: May 18, 2009