17HMR Updates?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Gary O
    (9/14/02 10:37:11 am)
    Reply 17HMR Updates?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Up until now it was hard to come by informed opinions about this round. As I surf the other rimfire websites where folks have actually shot the 17HMR in the increasing number of guns being chambered for it, the results were overwhelmingly good. My understanding is that there is a 12 million round back order on the ammo and rifles are being snapped up as soon as they hit the dealer shelves. Also heard that a 25gr. load is in the works to help out with chucks and foxes.
    It appears as if the current load is correct for ground squirrels out to 200 yards and some slightly larger critters in a little closer. Accuracy seems to be very good for a rimfire with most shooters reporting under 1 moa at 100 yards.
    I have been entertained by the emotion some folks have displayed by the appearence of this new cartridge. It's almost like some people think that the 17HMR is taking up space that is needed for something else. I suspect these are mostly 22 mag fans. Take a look at the 200 yard trajectory charts and compare the two rounds and you can see why.
    OK 22 Mag guys: put my mind right.....

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/14/02 7:35:29 pm)
    Reply Re: 17HMR Updates?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just move down the pages for the real unabashed stories.
    A new 25grain bullet???? hahahahahahahahhaah

ps/Welcome.....what a way to start!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/14/02 7:56:57 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: 17HMR Updates?
    Welcome to TFF Gary O

We have dicussed the merits of a itty bitty bullet a few times. They should be on on of the pages in this part of TFF.

Myself I will wait until they start loading it in a 40-50 grain and putting a primer in it so it can be reloaded.

Wait--don't they already make that?

Sorry about the wisecrack Gary, No problem if you like the 17 rimfire. We all have our favorites. Stick around and shoot the bull with us. You can even try and make me a believer in the little rimfire.
    Edited by: warpig883 at: 9/14/02 8:58:13 pm

Gary O
    (9/14/02 9:32:13 pm)
    No offense taken. Thanks for the welcome. As long as folks can resist "flames" I can hold my own.
    Now to business: do you have any actual shooting/hunting experience with this round? Or do you guys just stake out a position in defense of another cartridge? Makes it hard to be aware of another potentially usefull round. Consider this: not all folks handload, can use a loud centerfire, and the Hornet and WRM don't exaclty have a reputation for sterling accuracy -deserved or not.
    As for the new 25g. load; I'm just repeating what I read in the shooting industry news briefs. What say you...

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/14/02 11:13:10 pm)
    Give us your values for this round, we`ll wait. You don`t have to shoot it, to evaluate it. What say ye??? LTS

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/15/02 10:22:53 am)
    ezSupporter
    I am basing it on my hunting experiance with light rounds.

For instance the current trend of the industry to load the 22lr in ever smaller wieght bullets. I am a hunter/trapper and use 22lr on coon and beaver and the occasional fox and coyote.

First off let me start by saying hollowpoints in a .22lr have NO place for hunting the larger small game animals. The .22lr does not have enough energy to penetrate the hollowpoint and it just flattens on the skull. I have a coffee cup inside my garage full of hollowpoint fragments taken from under the hide on head shot coons. Solid bullets are the only way to go for a quick kill on these animals.Takes 2 to 3 times as many shots in the head to take one down with a hollowpoint. Every hole in the hide is money out of the pocket. Wounded coons just tend to bite coonhounds. I would rather have them dead when they fall from the tree. Not wounded and fighting and willing to run another mile with that 36 grain hollow point laying flat between the head and the hide.

Right now Aguila is the ONLY ammo manufacturer making a 22lr hunting round for hunting the larger small game. It has a 60 grain bullet and it penetrates just fine.

I have been shooting a 17 for years and years, thousands of rounds. It is a Daisy and shoots a .177 round ball. Who in the heck ever figured that it would be good to file a point on it and boost this TINY bullet up to warp speed to hunt with must be nuts. I will give concession to a use for pest control or target shooting and plinking,other than that I just do not see any legitimet use for it. But we have other calibers that do that and do it CHEAPER.

I think the industry has the shooting public hoodwinked on this one. I never believe 90% of what the gunwriters say. Heck if I bore out my daisy to .480 Ruger and send it to a gun mag for testing as the newest varmint gun they WILL give it a good review. There is a reason you have never seen a bad review on ammo or a gun from one of the mainstream gun magazines.

Big game-
    I used to use my 22-250 on deer. I have killed many deer with it and have had mostly all 1 shot kills. I even killed a deer with a 22lr once (not proud of that and we did eat it). Some folks use a .223 for deer

The above bullets do the job but it is seriously pushing the limits of ethical hunting. Why get smaller?

Sure it is good for groundhogs,praire dogs,targets, plinking, ect. Pest control. But the same job can be done with an existing,cheaper round that has ballistics that are close enough to not worry about comparing numbers.

Maybe I am in the minority but I think it is crazy to be useing such a tiny bullet for hunting. If it is 17 grain bullet is so great why not use sabots and shoot a 5 or 10 grain bullet out of the rifle. Or use blowgun ammo.

Let me put it this way. Come on over this winter and we can go out in the front yard with the kids and have a snowball fight. We will throw small snow balls as fast as we can get them to fly through the air. The kids will throw the same size snow balls at us but only after dipping them in slush and packing them hard. (this is know as a South Dakota iceball). Which one is going to hurt more the slush ball or the fluff ball.

Don't laugh but this experiment has been done already. I have seen a thrown iceball take out a car window, and blacken an eye, and bloody a nose. Hardly anyone ever gets hurt by a regular old snowball.

Do ya get my drift? What are your thoughts on the .17 rimfire?
    Edited by: warpig883 at: 9/15/02 11:28:40 am

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/15/02 1:36:02 pm)
    no i jus cant do it again....or can I?? Lts whats the "holdover again at 1000 yds?
    Y duz this keep me amused?
    Can anybody think 22 MAG for the little critters???

Gary O
    (9/15/02 11:38:52 pm)
    Intresting post. Your comments about coon hunting sure makes sense to me. I'll admit that I have had my best results on NorCal ground squirrels with 40grm Power Point hollow points so far. Penetration is not as much of an issue for me in that useage. What I am looking for is a way to reach out past 125 yards without the rainbow trajectorys offered in exsisting rounds. The 17HMR seemed like a possible solution.
    I must admit that your use of snowballs and air rifles as examples confused me some. All I am really trying to do is get more reach for my daughters and I on ground squirrels; not convince folks that I'm right. Especially since I've never tried a 22WRM under those circumstances and conditions

JackRyann
    (9/16/02 12:47:25 am)
    I like my 22 WMR. Never hit anything with it yet that didn't die. If what I've heard so far is true at 6 bucks a box it's about half the cost of the 17 whatever.

Nope I don't see any reason to buy a new rifle to do the job this one does for half the cost.
    Kill it and Grill, yeah! I love animals. They're tasty!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/16/02 7:35:54 am)
    ezSupporter
    I tend to rant a bit about it because there is a crowd that advocates the 17 rimfire and the 17 centerfire as hunting rounds for deer sized game (at long range even)

So automatically I go into rant mode when I hear someone ask about it. I see what you are saying, you want a flat shooter for ground squirrels. My ballistics chart does not show the 17 rimfire (I am 2 lazy to go look up the info) but have you compared it to the 220 Swift or the 223 ? They are very flat shooting and the recoil is not bad either.

Here is what I have for the 220 Swift and the 223

220 Swift with a 40 gr bullet is 4050 fps at the muzzle and the drop at 200 yards is only 1.3 inches.

220 Swift with a 50 gr bullet is 3870 fps at the muzzle and 1.7 inches drop at 200 yards.

223 I show a bunch of loads above and below 3500 fps all at around 2 inches drop at 200 yards.

That info is from the Winchestor ballistics chart. Obviously there are even more loads out there for these calibers.

I think the 220 Swift would be the one I would pick if she can handle the recoil.

Or even the .223 would be a good pick. While not as flat as the 220 Swift the ammo is dirt cheap and the recoil is negligible.

I know you can buy 50 rounds of .223 ammo for $10.00 in the store. Even way cheaper if you reload.

Both of these outperform the 17 rimfire and do it cheaper
    Course I bet the recoil from a 17 rimfire is like a 22. That would probably be fun to shoot.

Hey you need to come on up to SD so I can throw snoballs at you

Gary O
    (9/16/02 6:36:26 pm)
    I called the folks at Leupold today and asked them what they thought would be the right scope for the 17HMR. They suggested a 4x12x40 AO with a fine crosshair. Since they live in the same part of the country as I do, several of thier employees have tried the 17HMR on ground squirrels consistantly out to 150 yards. I asked them about the 22 mag and the big difference was the lack of richocets with the 17. A big consideration in cattle country. By the way, Midsouth Shooters Supply sells the Ammo for $7.69 a box......
    Shot any coons in the head today with snowballs...? Later.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/16/02 10:24:24 pm)
    ezSupporter
    I have thrown snowballs at them in the tree to get them to move so I could get a head shot

That richocet thing sounds good. All the praire dog shooting I have done has been in cattle country.

I think I need one of those scopes.

mrmarklin
    (9/20/02 11:51:48 pm)
    Reply .17
    Gary O, I actually have hunted ground squirrels extensively with this cartridge, and have been very satisfied.

I have an Anschutz 1717D topped with a Schmidt and Bender 2.5-10x56 scope. This is a large for caliber gun, but I have been very happy with it. It's sighted in at 3/4 in. high at 100 yards, and I have shot many squirrels with this gun, my longest shot being so far 140 yards. First shot ever (as measured by my Leica rangefinder) was 103 yards, and it tossed a fairly large groundsquirrel about a foot in the air from the stump where he was sitting!!!!

I have a .22 Mag, and it hits the squirrels harder, but the trajectory leaves a lot to be desired in hunting in open fields. The .17HMR is plenty of medicine out to well over 150yds.

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/21/02 4:31:03 pm)
    Reply Re: .17

Quote:
    a Schmidt and Bender 2.5-10x56 scope. This is a large for caliber gun, but I have been very happy with it.

Lord I hope so, if my wife knew I spent over a grand on a scope for a rimfire, she better not catch me wipe the smile off my face for a year!

Great posts guys...keep in mind that while you are "fighting it out" there are "flies on the wall" out here learning a heck of a lot.

mrmarklin
    (9/21/02 10:05:44 pm)
    Reply .17
    Crpdeth a word to the wise--don't let your wife know!!!!

In seriousness, I felt that for a high end gun like the Anschutz a good scope was deserved. This gun will last a lifetime, and I'm getting to the point in my "gun career", 25+ yrs with firearms, that I really don't want to have less than the best equipment available. It's so much more pleasurable and easy to use.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/21/02 10:31:39 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: .17
    Ah... a customer, er-, man after my own heart.

ehehehehe

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/22/02 6:14:22 pm)
    Mark, I must agree with both statements, and the good thing about women is "most of em" cant tell the difference between one scope and the next.

Our very own, TallT is the exception in every 1000

As far as buying the best goes...I think that goes alot farther than just firearms, I'm the type that will become dissatisfied with less, pretty quick.
    The good thing is, like you, I realized that fact long ago, which in the long run saves me money. For example, I've been researching ATVs (4 wheelers) for a very long time, I could have "settled" for a Honda 350 full time four wheel drive months ago, but I would have already been tired of the lesser quad, selling it at a loss, slowly working my way up to the 450 S w/traxlox.
    Why not buy the best the first time, and move on to the next toy? Heck, my lovely wife even understands this philosophy, it does save money! which should, of course, by all rights, be used for upgrades!

Nice rifle! BTW. Classic Heavy Barrel Meister Grade?

Edited by: Crpdeth at: 9/22/02 7:34:04 pm

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/22/02 6:21:29 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Thank you Crpdeth for the compliment.

I too believe if you are going to buy something to buy the best.

Unfortunately, I have way too much fun refinishing the old battle rifles - and at least they are cheap so I don't have to worry too much about spending a lot of money for a gun.

Though I've been known to do it.

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/22/02 6:46:48 pm)
    T~You are more than welcome.

Unfortunately? Girl, I wish I had the time, energy, and intestinal fortitude to do some of the same...Sounds like alot of fun, and I must admit, taking some of these "fine firearms" out of the case would make me cautious, much less to go out in the brush hunting, ect. I believe each "type" of firearm has it's place...Hard to beat an ol' SKS to throw behind the seat of that old pickup truck, but then, the feeling of pulling that $2000 dollar piece out of its hiding place must be unparralleled.

*Edit* Sure will be glad when spellcheck is fixed.

Edited by: Crpdeth at: 9/22/02 7:52:27 pm

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/22/02 6:50:51 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Crpdeth - it is fun for me and it helps pass the time (or it will again when my sister and her kids fly to San Diego in about 2 more weeks).

I can't justify spending a $1,000 on a gun that I probably would be afraid to shoot. And quite frankly it's harder and harder for me to shoot the guns I love. My body doesn't quite move as well or take the punishment I could just a year ago.

Still it would be interesting to pull a $2,000 gun out to go shooting!

mrmarklin
    (9/23/02 12:08:46 am)
    Reply .17
    My Anschutz is Meistergrade, but not the heavy barrel.

I have a heavy barrelled Ruger #1 Varmint rifle, and it really is too much weight for the shooting I do. I find the slimmer barrels are handier, and don't get too warm with the type of hunting I have so far done.

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/1/02 4:29:38 pm)
    Well guys, educate me some more on this little .17 hmr...If what I was looking for was a rifel that I could set the scope on at 75 yards and it still be dead on at 25 yards would this be a good choice? I've found that with my Ruger 10/22 if I set the scope at say...60-75 yards it is too high for close up shots.

Just as importantly would this caliber make a good squirrel gun?

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/1/02 5:29:46 pm)
    Just as importantly would this caliber make a good squirrel gun?

If you have no desire to eat them, it would be fine

Gary O
    (10/1/02 5:51:57 pm)
    Ground squirrels, yes. Tree squirrels, doubtfull. Most folks that hunt tree squirrels like to eat them and the 17HMR are fairly destructive. I know of no rimfires that you can sight in to be on at 25 and 75 yards at the same time.

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/1/02 6:07:57 pm)
    It was worth a try I suppose...I was hoping the sharp little bullet would pass right through 'em with little damage to the meat. Maybe if I only took head shots?
    Well...If the sighting in wont work like I had hoped, I guess I'll forget it...I had heard that it was a flat shooter, so I got my hopes up.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/1/02 8:53:24 pm)
    Don, I know a way to get what your looking for without changing the scope setting and it`s pretty simple. LTS

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/1/02 9:05:31 pm)
    Well, here's an update on the .17 HMR and Ruger.

Got to looking at the way the barrel attaches to the receiver on my 77/22 Mag (basically, the same as does a 10/22) and figured it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to swap barrels. The action is the same, even the rotary magazine is the same.

Called Strum/Ruger back East and talked to their Marketing Division if they had replacement barrels for sale. Was informed all such barrels are going into manufacturing for new rifles and would not be available for replacement sales for at least 90 days.

Think I'll check back in the requisite 90 days and see if they're available. Wouldn't be too bad a deal to have a swap barrel (be lots cheaper than buying a complete rifle!) and the capability to check out this craze for the round. Especially, if they come out with the heavier, 25 grain bullet.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/1/02 10:05:20 pm)
    Kdub, several makers already have barrels for the 10/22 and 77/22. My problem is when they go to (if) a 25 grainer.....they are going to be pretty close to the V-Max ? poly tip-30-32 grainer .22 mag. Thus losing the velocity edge, gained by the 17 grainer. A Ruger HB Varmit with a 24" tube in .22mag, is one mean shooter. LTS

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/2/02 9:27:24 pm)
    See - ! There ya' go, LTS!

Stickin' that big ol' ugly heavy varmit barrel on my cute li'l 77/22! Would look sorta funny with a 24" HB tube stuck on that little bitty frame and stock!

Hey, BTW - Who makes the replacement bbls for the 77/22?
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Edited by: kdub01 at: 10/2/02 10:30:23 pm

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/2/02 9:31:03 pm)

Quote:
    Don, I know a way to get what your looking for without changing the scope setting and it`s pretty simple. LTS

Do tell!

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/4/02 10:13:09 am)

Quote:

Common Bro!
    Tell me what you know!

The only way I have figured that I could achieve this, would be to use "see through" scope rings, allowing me to set the scope for 65...maybe 75 yards, and use the sights for the close up shots.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/4/02 10:41:54 am)
    You only need several brands of ammo and the ability to change them out (clip fed .22`s)

Sight rifle in at 35 yards using Remington Sub-Sonic`s.
    Dead on......

Then move target to 50 yards and switch to CCI Mini-Mags.

Fine tune that range, then move target to 80 yards and switch to CCI Stingers.....fine tune that.

Then start over at 35 yards with Remington subs and see what you get. It make take a couple of times, but you will find......once dialed in. No reset is required, just change the magazine and quitely eject the barreled round.....insert new magazine and chamber different round. Squirrels out 50 yards and beyond.....ain`t going to see or hear you. I do this every year, makes for less headaches and more squirrels. I rarely make a shot over 50 yards......but do have a record shot paced out at 88 yards. Big red in the top of a dead horseapple tree, two shots.......first clipped the limb, just beside him......he stayed......bad mistake....the second shot was rested, so was he. LTS

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/4/02 2:20:14 pm)
    Thanks LTS...I would never imigine this could be done, I still have alot to learn about the "ins and outs" of different ammo, obviously.
    My dad, a fine man, but a workaholic, never hunted or anything, so I never had anyone to gleen this type of info from, growing up...I've learned a little on my own, and from friends, but I'm proud to be able to correspond with you guys who have spent a lifetime learning learning this stuff.

Just want ya'll to know I dont take ya's for granted.

Mauser45
    (10/10/02 11:55:56 am)
    Reply 17HMR
    I agree with some of you guys. Haven/t used the 17 yet but that bullet sure looks dinky! I'd like to see them come out with a heavier bullet as an optional load for when you need more penetration,for the bigger varmints. Remington blew it when they discontinued the 5MM Rimfire Mag. That was a SERIOUS rimfire. Had two of them back in the 70's. Shot a lot of Jackrabbits in Arizona with them. Accuracy was minute of angle and bullet performance was what you would expect from a big game load. Excellent penetration, with no fragmenting and about a 1 inch exit hole. Really hammered those Jacks from any shot angle!!
    The rumors I heard back then said that occasionally the rims blew out. The same problem was reported about the 22 Mag. when it first came out. CCI solved that problem by making the rims thicker, so why did't Reminton do the same ? If we still had the 5MM we wouldn't need the 17HMR!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/10/02 4:52:33 pm)
    Reply Re: 17HMR
    Welcome to the board, Mauser45 - !

Hope you join all the other discussion groups here on the board. We're all just plain ol' gun nuts and cranks - might as well be part of the bunch!

LTS - see where Midsouth is selling the Green Mountain .17 HMR replacement barrels for the 77/22. Ordered one o' them blued jobbies and a brick of ammo. We'll see if there's any braggin' rights with the caliber. We usually have an east wind in the mornings and a west wind in the afternoons (yup, ol' range flag hangs sorta limp right about noon time!), so there's gonna be a crosswind most of the time.

Shoot - for less than $150, I get a switch-barrel gun! Can always use the .17 barrel for a pry bar if it doesn't work out.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/10/02 5:37:26 pm)
    Reply Re: 17HMR
    LTS, thas pretty interesting, but Y stop with a clip feed. Y not load a say 15 round tube feed with 3 or 5 different brands an go to it. Course u gotta keep track of whats where but should'nt be too much for a texican.
    This be 1/2 serious 1/2 fun but startin to think about it a little, Y not? No I don't hunt squirrels.

Lemme see now the holdover at 88 yards, lessee, at 1 inch a yard dat B bout , ....Cheeze, straight up???

NeVeTaS
    (12/9/02 6:09:44 am)
    This is a great calibre for the UK, all my land is surrounded by houses. Rebounds of .22LR are a nightmare. This will make a great foxing round IMO

www.nevetas.com

oneshot
    (12/13/02 2:59:33 am)
    Reply .22LR ON DEER
    All the venison I ate when I was a little kid was take with a .22LR. I have heard that everything on the north american contenant has been taken with a .22LR at one time or another by somebody. Place it in the right spot such as the spine and even big game drop like a rock.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (12/25/02 2:49:12 pm)
    Reply Re: .22LR ON DEER
    Ol' Santa brought my daughter (age14)

a New England Firearms Handi-Rifle in .17

HRM. Still have to mount the scope and

give a good cleaning before doing the

barrel break-in.

Then we will go to the range and see

what kind of distance and accuracy we

can get out of the little .17.

strut70
    (12/29/02 9:26:12 pm)
    you might check out this web site for a little more insite on this subject

www.cctrap.com/~varmint/17hmr.htm

gram22
    (12/31/02 8:20:46 pm)
    Reply Taking deer with the .22LR
    I have a nice little Ruger 10/22, I was wondering if it was fully legal in the state of Florida to drop a deer with it. I don't know if I would do it yet, in fear of wounding it and letting it get away. If I am able to do this, what kind of ammunition would you recommend for it? Like how many grains, hollow-point, etc. I have yet to kill any animals with the rifle, but what it can do to a plastic botttle full of water has been pretty impressive. Also, I would like to add that Remington makes some really crappy ammunition, jammed up my factory magazine. I have had best results with the 36 grain Federal hollow-points. They sell them at Wal-Mart in large boxes of 550rds. for under $10! Compared to other ammunition, it has kind of been on the weaker side though.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/31/02 8:33:36 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Taking deer with the .22LR

R U serious?

Many a deer have been poached with a .22 but IT IS NOT LEGAL ANYWHERE

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

outdoorsman260
    (1/1/03 1:04:57 am)
    Reply Re: Taking deer with the .22lr.....
    NO!!

I personally would not take anything smaller than a .243 deer hunting. Using a .22LR would be stupid. A deer can be killed with a brain shot using a .22LR, but that is all. I've no idea why you would even consider it.
    blake.prohosting.com/~redneck4

gram22
    (1/1/03 11:28:30 am)
    Reply Re: Taking deer with the .22lr.....
    Well, someone said it could be done, it made me curious. However, I will admit my own supidity for even asking.

DudleyOutlaw
    (1/8/03 2:36:15 pm)
    Reply Re: Taking deer with the .22lr
    I've killed lots of deer with a 10/22 and even a wild pig! As far as it goes you pretty much have to shoot them in the head to make a clean kill. As far as it being legal if your own private property this is legal in NC as far as i know Just my two cents

NeVeTaS
    (1/8/03 5:20:16 pm)
    I've shot a few foxes now with my .17HMR, between 100 and 150 yards. They do have to be head / neck shot's to be 100%

I've also shot about 20 bunnies with it, and it hasn't damaged the meat on them.

As for shooting Deer with a .22LR or 17HMR in UK you would be in serious trouble. UK law says it has to be .243 or above.

You could kill an elephant if you hit it with a stone in just the right place, but what if......

Not worth the risk IMHO.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/9/03 9:36:18 pm)
    .850" 100 yd group with the Ruger 77/22 with .17 HMR swap barrel on it, at the range today - guess I'll keep it!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Mauser45
    (1/13/03 12:49:56 am)
    ezSupporter
    Doggone, I'm gettin wackey! Went to a gun show yesterday to find a .22 mag rifle and ended up buying a .17 HMR in the NEF rifle. Synthetic stock, heavy barrel . Just couldn't pass it up for only $160.00. I had a lot of misgivings on the way home since I regard the 17 gr. bullet to be inferior to a 40 gr.bullet. Had to get an idea if this little bullet can get enough penetration on a fox size animal. I took 5, 3/4 inch thick pieces of pine board and clamped them together. Shot at them with the .17 and a .22Mag at 50 yards (3 rounds each). All the .22 mag's (CCI- 40 GR. hollow points) completely penetrated the 3 3/4 inch stack of wood. One .17 bullet made it through. The other 2 bullets stopped in the 5th board. Total penetration of 3 1/4". The .22 mag definitely penetrated farther but there was a big difference in the "wound channel" left by the two types of bullets. The .22 Mag left about a 1/4 inch hole straight through. The .17, going through the 2nd and 3rd boards left a hole about 7/16 inch in diameter and then tapered back to about a 1/4 by the time they stopped in the fifth board. This is a substantial difference in damage compared to what the .22 mag did. Of course the greater expansion hurt the amount of penetration. I was surprised to find that the jackets and lead cores were still intact. The jackets had curled back down around the base of the bullet. I had expected to find just fragments. I am going to try this same "test" with my .22 long rifle. I think that it may penetrate just as deeply! I know a lot of you out there are experienced varmint hunters. Does this sound like enough power for fox at 100 yards or less? Frontal shots?
    Wanted to make a comment about the rifle itself. For the price, this is a very neat rifle. The balance is close to the hinge pin like a fine shotgun, the comb of the stock is just the right height for a scope and they can shoot like a high priced bolt action rifle. Plus you don't have the bedding problems of bolt actions with wood stocks. Oh Yeah! the down side of the .17 is the price of ammo, I got wacked $12.00 for a box!! This situation had better get remedied soon or this cartridge is going to have a short life like the 5MM Remington !

NeVeTaS
    (1/13/03 5:19:12 pm)
    I've now taken my Ruger 17/77 back to the shop, must be something wrong with it as was getting 3-4" groups.

I've changing the stock to laminate, and putting on 24" pac-nor heavy barrel.

the last one the shope did like this was getting .278" @ 100

As for Ammo, we pay £23(UK STERLING) per 100

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/13/03 5:42:40 pm)
    Mauser45 - www.midsouthshooters.comsells the .17 HMR rounds for $7.80/box when you order in 10 box lot. Might want to give them a try.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Mauser45
    (1/20/03 7:50:09 am)
    ezSupporter
    Thanks for the welcome, Kdub01 ! Good luck with the new barrel. I really hope that they do come out with a heavier bullet for the 17. We don't have any Ground squirrels or prairie dogs here in Pennsylvania, just woodchucks, which are much bigger. A heavier bullet would increase the sectional density and ballistic coefficient which would sure help for woodchucks! Probably still get around 2,300 fps with a 25 gr bullet? I wouldn't shoot a chuck past 100-125 yds with this little gun.
    I wouldn't hesitate to use the 17 on tree squirrels. Shoot them in the ribs and you won't spoil any meat! Even a 22 hollowpoint will ruin the front or hind quarters if you hit them there.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/20/03 1:55:15 pm)
    Only thing I'll probably shoot with my .17 HMR is charging chipmunks and ground squirrels, all at less than 125 yds - and even then, will have to wait 'til the wind settles down below 5 mph. Sure is fun making those tiny holes and groups in paper at 100 yds, tho!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"
  2. redphoenix

redphoenix New Member

Hi All,

I am new... so be easy on me here.

Simple point made by simple example:

I am a shotgun man (Ohio frowns on rifles). I hunted YEARS ago... 23 to be exact and actually the last time I fired a rifle was an M16A2 before a friend at my hunting club showed up with a Marlin 17V (I now own the 17VS) and there was a groundhog about 200 yards away from where we were (trap field). This gentleman kindly offered me the shot at this critter and I asked him what the 'drop' was and he simply said, 'Aim at the head and it is dead.). 3X9X40mm scope... I put the crosshair right on the top of his noggin... and pulled the trigger... hit him in the middle of his head... and it penetrated... Hornady 17gr.

Like I said, I own the 17VS and I use the Hornady and am ready to try the Remington version. 23 years and a rifle and bullet allow me to perform like that... SOLD!!!!!!

Now, I have read other internet stuff out there about coyote hunters and the what not that simply love this round... never a
    question about penetration or 'killing' power... I suspect it is quite adequate for WHAT IT IS DESIGNED FOR and that is VARMINT hunting AND 'plinking' as some of you wish to refer to target shooting...

Expensive ammo? Well... that is relative to the user... and what they use the ammo for. If I hit what I am aiming at a $.50 bullet then that is way better than a $.25 bullet that missed... because when I fire the second round what is my TOTAL cost... and then what... I doubt a third shot?

Try it... you don't have to buy it... a lot of gun shops have ranges and let you try them before you buy them...

Caution: The Marlin 17 rifle triggers are real heavy... expect to visit the gunsmith. Other than that... the two I have experience with are dead on tack drivers.

:)
  3. scottbird

scottbird New Member

I shoot the cci 20gr hollowpoint in my Marlin 917v 17hmr, I shot a cyote, it was looking at me so I shot into the chest, it droped, that was at 310 yards. I have mine sighted in at 200 yards so I aimed about an inch and a half high. I love mine, I use the cci 20gr full metal jacket for rabbit and squril. I do not think I would want to go any farther than three hundred yards, and I might of just gotten lucky on that shot.
  4. Frank Costa

Frank Costa New Member

I have shot and killed 3 coyotes with my Savage 17HMR. 2 were one shot kills, the 3rd one took a second shot. All shots were around 125 yards. Ground squrils are the ideal fun on a hunt. My 3 shooting partners and myself have shot over 500 rounds each in a single morning of shooting. The hunts have been in Northern Calif.

Frank
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

the 17HMR is fantastic; bought the marlin for $225 when it came out, stupid accurate and a nice little powerhouse with tons of capability out to 125yds.

walmart had them for $179 for a long time and now there's tons of stuff chambered for this.

the semi-autos didn't fare to well though, but as a bolt/SS, it's a fantastic round.

for certain would not want to get hit with one!!
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Man, ya'll are digging up some old threads!!