.17m2 anyone seen difference among ammo?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by accident, Jan 18, 2010.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I want to stock up on .17m2 ammo.I've only shot 1 box of CCI thru it.Now I've found a bulk supplier that sells Rem,Hornady,CCI,Eley all in bulk.The Rem and Eley are the best priced,but never been tried in my gun.They don't sell a box of each.Has anyone noticed the .17m2 being particular between brands? I know .22lr's are.I'm shooting a CZ452.I'm asking if it would be wise to order 1Krds. of Rem or Eley when i haven't tried those yet.The CCi shells shoot well,but maybe all brands will.Any insight would be appreciated.THANKS ALL, Joe
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i cant say about 17 rem m2 but i have had i number of remmington 17 hmr to fail,i will not buy them again old semperfi
  3. accident

Thanks Old Semperfi.I wish someone out there has had experience with Eley.I found them as the best deal $5.50/box with purchase of 1000rds.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Every gun is different but my CZ Varmint in 17HM2 preferred the ELEY stuff by a huge margin. The test were at 50 yrds rested on the bench on a scoped CZ452 Varmint in 17HM2. The results are the average of five 5 shot groups:

Hornady/CCI = one inch groups average

Remington = 3/4 inch groups average

ELEY = 1/2 inch groups average

Is the ammo better from ELEY or just that my gun likes it better (???). You decide but the Remington uses ELEY cases primed by ELEY (I am told) and it certainly is better in accuracy than the Hornady/CCI ammo in my gun.

LDBennett
  5. accident

Thanks again LD.That tells me what I needed to know.I'll get couple boxes Eley,REM,AND Hornady,&see whats best from my gun before I buy large quantity of anything. I fear they may quit making .17m2 ammo at some point,so I want to stock up as many of the brand thats best in my gun as I can.