.17mach2

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Ledslnger, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Looking to get a .17m2 in the near future. Was going for the Savage Mark II FV, but I saw a nice CZ chambered in the m2 today. The CZ will be $100 more than the Savage. I like the accu-trigger on the Savage though, but the CZ had a beautiful stock and nice looking heavy barrel with a covered front sight. It had a quality old school look about it that I liked, while the Savage has a more modern look.
    I have never had a CZ before, heard good things about their pistols though. Which way would everyone go and why????
  2. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Either would work great, personally I would go with the CZ since they look nicer.

I would reconsider the .17m2 and go with the .17hmr instead.
  3. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I reload and cannot bring myself to pay 3x the cost in price of ammo when going from the m2 to the HMR. Another reason, I am buying a Ruger .204 now that will smoke H out of the .17 HMR if I want a bit larger caliber than the m2.
  4. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

I have 4 CZ 452's, all have triggers that are less than 16 oz. with 0 creep. The 453's have single set triggers but they cost almost $100 more. In my opinion not worth the extra money. The CZ 's are top quality. Fit and finish is much better than Savage. Savage is accurate, but it's not a CZ. Before you make up your mind, google CZ 452 or 455 vs Savage Mark II VF. Read up on both. YMMV
  5. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated. I have read one article on both CZ and Savage .17m2s and both had good reviews. I think I would be happy with either. Think I need to figure out if I want nice wood or synthetic. Leaning towards the wood CZ since I most likely won't be using it for hunting. If I was it would probably be synthetic. Wouldn't mind hearing from a couple of more people though. :)
  6. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Well-Known Member

I would not buy a Savage mark II in 17 Mach 2! I've had three of them and all three had ejection problems. The case splits and it will not eject it!
  7. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Really, damn that is not good. Okay, appreciate the input. Thanks!
  8. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I have a Savage 93BTV i .17HMR it is a tack driver. It is made in North America. I use to sell them at Dick's Sporting Goods And Bass Pro. You can not go wrong.:)
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have a CZ452 Varmint in 17HM2. While I got it to shoot well, I think a better gun for me would have been the same rifle in 22LR.

The 17HM2 hype was furious when I bought it some seven years ago. It was suppose to be laser like in accuracy. The truth was there were only four ammos available for it: CCI/ Hornady, Remington, and Eley. After going through all four, the Eley was twice as accurate as the CCI/Hornady and the Remington split the difference. Even the ELEY only matched what a good 22 ammo would do in the 22LR version and the choices of ammo that a 22LR version might like would have been endless. The 17HM2 cartridge is over rated, expensive, and has problem with over pressure in semi-auto guns and some bolt guns.

A better bet is a good 22LR rifle like the CZ or a bottom of the line Anschutz or any number of other really good 22 rifles. My Volquartsenized Ruger 10/22 (barrel, trigger parts, stock are Volquartsen) shoots right with the 17HM2 CZ Varmint I have when both are fed ammo they like. So much for "laser" accuracy in the original hype.

LDBennett
  10. denglazer

denglazer New Member

It depends on what you're intended use is going to be. I have 2 hm2's and both are very accurate and superb small game rifles.If you want a paper-puncher and/or plinking rifle you may want to go with a .22. As for ammo,Eley is very accurate in both rifles(Savage FV and CZ 452 Varmint), so to me the limited amount of ammo makers is a moot point.I also have a Savage HMR that I hardly ever shoot anymore,prefering my .22 mag. To each his own.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  11. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

One can buy a .17HMR BTV in stainless for around 400 dollars,I am not sure what the CZ costs,but I am sure it goes for much more. Check them all out,pick the one that fits best for both your wallet and arms!:)
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have a Ruger 10/22 with an E.A.Brown 17Mach2 conversion barrel for it. Accuracy is OK but it is hard to spend almost $6.00 for 50 rounds of ammo for it.
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

gdmoody:

That's the other drawback of 17HM2. It is twice as expensive as good 22LR ammo like CCI SV. But if you are a hunter and need the energy of the 17HM2 then you may be stuck with 17HM2 or 17HMR and expensive ammo costs.

I don't hunt and only target shoot. So the 17HM2 is useless to me if it is not significantly more accurate than 22LR which I have found it NOT to be.

But hey, you have to have one of everything so I still have my CZ Varmint in 17HM2. But I also have my Anschutz Silhouette with a fully adjustable two stage trigger, based on the "64" action. Now thats one accurate gun in 22LR.

LDBennett
  14. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

If you like the look of the wood, look at the savage mark ii bv, I have one and I love the looks...
  15. Freebore

Freebore New Member

You pretty much answered your own question above, I generally buy what I like. While CZ does make some nice firearms I (again) tend to buy products that support local industries. As for the 17HM2, I don't see any real advantage in this cartridge, with the 22LR, 22M, and the 17HMR availabe, where's the point of this caliber in a rifle, cost of operation is close to the 17HMR and 22 Mag, both of which I feel are far superior.

As for Savage, I have four (2-17HMR, 1-22-250, and 1-223, all have excellent accuracy and dependability.