1803 Harpers Ferry rifle

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by bpfl1836, Oct 17, 2010.

1. bpfl1836

bpfl1836 New Member

Would anyone know how to go about getting information on when/where/to who the U.S. Army may have sold its 1803 harpers ferry rifles as surplus? I'm a reenactor for the Texas Revolution and trying to determine if there is any evidence to support 1803's being in Texas during during the spring of 1836 or earlier.

thanks
    Ruben
  2. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Well with the Texas Revolution beeing in 1835 and 1836 I would imagine there was mabbe a couple of 1803 Harpers Ferry Rifles in there. I believe the Texas Revolution would prolly be one of those instances where the combatats had what they could get their hands on. There was a couple of rifles made that used the Harpers design. My guess would be though is that they prolly were useing the Harpers Ferry 1835's. Another possibility would be is that they used the 1816 Type III's. These seen a lot of action in thie military and were manufactured from 1831 to 1840. They were also flitlocks. Now as from a reinacting poit of view and Harpers Ferry Kit would prolly do you justice due tot he fack htat there was little noticeable diffrence in the design of the rifles brass and iron pieces.

I know I prolly wasnt much help but, who knows.