1814 French (?) Conversion musket identification request

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by AGW, Nov 8, 2012.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

it this a stamp or a removed stamp ??

Attached Files:

2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

AC crown over D i cant find sorry

converted austrian pattern rifle

pedersoli makes a very good replica though they over do the brass when it should be steel but thats them

compare

( from the cattle dog here )

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  3. AGW

AGW New Member

Thanks so far! The mark on the inside of the lock is a KR stamp. It's also on the barrel. Bottom line is that it (by best guess) dates to 1812 or before right? The conversion was clearly very professionally done it seems. Since we cannot find manufactured or converted by any of the large or well known places. That makes it kinda cool also. By your best guess it doesn't appear to be a "new" fake, does it?

Next big question - $650 reasonable or not? The seller wanted $850 then $750 and I offered $650. Basically figured that I couldn't get a new one at the price and old is better in my book anyway......
  4. AGW

AGW New Member

Forgot to ask about the ramrod. Who used this button style as opposed to the fluted style. The owner said this was the original rod.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

no they;'d make it more clear to ID from stamps if it was faked if it is the charliville it was made a flinter , then way later was converted , now the file marks around where the pan was cut out and such extend to the 1814 stamp , so that stamp was done after the conversion , so think the year is when it was converted

but i cant say for sure
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Some parts of that musket, like the finger grooves, look French, although as Jack says, the Austrians used them as well.

Just an idea, but I wonder if it is one the many tons of anonymous muskets turned out in Liege in an era before the proof laws were enforced. As such it might well have some features common to French muskets.

Jim
  7. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Would like to see pic of entire gun. Thje wood appears to have been sanded/cleaned ibn the not too distant pase.