The Firearms Forum banner

1816 Spring Field Flintlock Artillery Musket

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Windycity 
#1 · (Edited)
Third gun from the collection. Beautiful 1816 Spring Field Flintlock Artillery Musket dated 1827. After some research, here's what I know.

Excellent Condition, original. Markings include "Spring Field 1827 (Eagle) US" on the lock plate, and S and the other side plate four "proofs" including what looks like a V, possible P, and I can not determine the others. It also has "U.S." on the top of the butt plate, an "S" on the upper band and the lower band. Also has letter "JT" in front of trigger guard. I could not get good images of the inside of the trigger guard but that appears to have the letter "A". It appears to have the inspectors cartouche in oval on left side of stock.

See less See more
#3 ·
That gun has either the wrong barrel or the wrong stock; the barrel should extend further from the end of the stock.

Also, it looks very much like a "re-flint" (re-conversion back to flint) of a musket converted to percussion by the "Belgian" method, with the hole for the nipple welded up with modern stainless steel weld. IMHO, it is not "original". (No, the government didn't restore any percussion guns to flint; only modern "craftsmen" did that, to increase the value.)

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.