1839 Springfield?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by otisrush, Dec 12, 2010.

1. otisrush

otisrush New Member

Can someone point me to a resource which explains the different "models" of CW muskets? I'm trying to do some general education for myself. I don't understand the space very well.

Is this considered an 1839 Springfield? I'm also intrigued by the stamp in the wood. It's located on the bottom of the stock - by the grip. Would this be an owner's mark? And what, if anything, can be concluded by the barrel stamps?

Thanks.

OR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

What you have is what is known as the Model 1840 U.S. Flintlock Musket (aka Model 1835). Apparently the basic design started in 1835 and was finally settled in 1840. (Lockplates were marked with year of manufacture).
    The gun has had what is called the "Belgian" type (or "cone") conversion to percussion. Done sometime from the 1840's to late 1860's.
    The barrel marks are proofs and the "AH" on the stock probably is an inspectors mark. AH could be Asabel Hubbard, an armory sub-inspector of stocks from 1813-1847. The inspectors mark is usually found on the opposite side of the stock from the lockplate, so I don't know what significance it being on the bottom may have.
  3. otisrush

otisrush New Member

Thanks very much. I appreciate the information.

There is another stamp on the stock on the side opposite the lock. It looks like JW. It's virtually identical to the AH stamp in terms of size, font, etc.

Thanks again for the info.

OR
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

wow that sure is pretty, what would that sell for?
  5. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

JW could be John Williamson, Capt. US Army 1838-1849. My listing doesn't show exactly what he did, but could have been an Army acceptance inspector at Springfield when your musket was made.