1844 Horse Pistol Value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by OneFatCat, Jun 26, 2011.

1. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

I plan on listing this 1844 Horse Pistol for sell soon and was hoping someone could give me a fair estimate on the value.

OFC

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Flayderman's Guide lists value of $500 for the percussion conversion in Good Condition.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That is the so-called "Belgian" conversion. Flayderman is almost always behind current values, and the gun is in good shape, with clear inspector's marks. I think I would go a bit more, especially if if the sale is in a way that offers can be made. I think I would ask $800 and then accept a serious offer of $700.

BTW, the "official" name is the Model 1836; 1844 was the last year of production. They were made by both A.H. Waters (23,000) and Robert Johnson (18,000), numbers large enough that the pistols are fairly common, although original flintlocks are scarce. They were not really "horse pistols", being issued to users other than the cavalry. They were the standard pistol of the Mexican War. It was a very good and well liked pistol, though everyone conceded that the Model 1842 was better because of being made as a percussion pistol. Caliber is .54. Some converted Model 1836's (and some unconverted) were used in the Civil War by both sides, mostly in rear echelon areas.

Jim
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  4. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

Thank you Jim I know you have seen and held the pistol...you a buyer?
  5. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I must say OFC, you come up with some very interesting stuff. I must be in the wrong part of the country. I never see anything like that down here. I enjoy looking at yours, though!
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Nope, but thanks.

Jim