1848 Colt Derringer?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rctyoung, Jan 1, 2011.

1. rctyoung

rctyoung New Member

Greetings folks...

I've received this piece from my father, who knew little about it. I've been unable to expand on what he knew (or thought he knew). I hope someone here can provide some additional information. I went to the Colt site but they want a model name as well as serial number and I don't even know that.

The gun is about 5.5 inches long. It's a .22 caliber, 7 shot revolver and Dad was told it was made in 1848. The serial number, which appears in three places, is 2669. It appears on the bottom of the handle, the bottom of the barrel under the pin that holds the cylinder and around the back of the cylinder. On the cylinder, there's an "H" along with the numbers. On the top of the barrel, it says "COLTS.PT.F.A.MFG.CO" over "HARTFORD.CT.U.S.A" with stylized crosses, like fat + signs on either side of the text.

Cosmetically, it's pretty beaten up but the action appears to work properly. I haven't tried to fire it as I'm chicken and don't know if modern ammo would be appropriate.

Any information concerning model name, age, value, etc., or a place to find same, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      16 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      16 KB
      Views:
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Looks like a Colt New Line 22 Revolver first model. They were produced from 1873-77. Value according to Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms 9th Ed. is VG $200 Exc $550. (Page 106)
  3. BillM

BillM Active Member

Deleted--double post.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  4. BillM

BillM Active Member

NOT 1848. The 22 short cartridge didn't come out until the late 1850's,
    and S&W had a lock on the bored through cylinder concept until early 1869.
    Also, it's not a derringer. Pocket pistol would come closer to describing it.

DO NOT shoot it with modern 22 ammunition. If you just have to make it
    go bang, try some Aguila 22 Colibri.

It is a Colt New Line 1st model, as The GunClinger stated above. SN puts year of manufacture at 1873, so it's an early one!:)
  5. rctyoung

rctyoung New Member

Damn, you guys are good. And fast. That's way more than I found in hours of web-searching and just what I wanted to know. And I won't be making it go bang. I suspect the barrel isn't clean enough even with the proper ammunition. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  6. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When I picked up my book it opened to the exact page that your gun was on.:eek: That was really weird! Usually it takes me hours and by the time I find what I am looking for four or five guys already answered.
  7. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Deleted
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The frame would originally have been nickel plated, but the plating was very thin and often wore off or was removed when it began to wear or peel in places. You might find some traces under the grips.

Jim