1849 Colt pocket pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by wildrose_68, Jul 13, 2012.

1. wildrose_68

wildrose_68 New Member

1849 Colt .31 cal with powder measure and think original box. Missing mold and cap box.
    sn: 222576 matching on all parts. I think maybe miss-stamped on barrel and bottom bass plate. (Barrel missing first 2 and bottom bass plate missing 6.) Would that have been possible?
    How much would you put for insurance?

Attached Files:

2. Mauser88

Mauser88 New Member

I like it!!
  3. wildrose_68

wildrose_68 New Member

So do I, unfortunately it's not mine. :(
    An older friend died recently and just trying to help his wife and son figure out the value.
  4. wildrose_68

wildrose_68 New Member

1849 Colt .31 cal with powder measure and think original box. Missing mold and cap box.
    sn: 222576 matching on all parts. I think maybe miss-stamped on barrel and bottom bass plate. (Barrel missing first 2 and bottom bass plate missing 6.) Would that have been possible?
    How much would you put for insurance?

Attached Files:

5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The missing first number is common. I don't know about Colt's, specifically, but like on a Mauser. SN 1234, and several of the parts would just be stamped 234 or even 34.

But that 6, in front of the trigger guard. That's a re-stamp. That will hurt value.
  6. wildrose_68

wildrose_68 New Member

Are you following me Alpo :D So the "6" could have been added later?
  7. wildrose_68

wildrose_68 New Member

The bottom brass plate is missing the 6. Kinda looks like they ran out of room. I don't have a good picture of it. I'll try taking one tomarrow. On the way home. Night.
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The full serial number wasn't put on the cylinder, wedge, loading lever or grips, just partials. The number on the grips was penciled in on the inside. The cylinder scene on yours appears to be gone. That and the restamped 6 is going to bring the value way down. If the number on the grip strap is a digit short that's going to hurt even more.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

10. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

A nice old late model '49, with large trigger guard. Most likely a six shooter.

I don't think the box and flask are original. Lots of copies have been made of such things.

That Colt has seen alot of use. It did not spend it's working life in a factory case. There has been some work done on this revolver. The edges are worn away from sand paper, etc. It's ok, but not a high end collectable handgun.

I'm not sure what this might be worth. One way to get an estimate would be to visit the gun auction sites. Do a search of completed auctions for Colt M1849 pocket revolvers, and see what people have actually paid for such revolvers in the same condition as your example. I might guess it would sell for around $500.00 in that condition, but I could easily be way off one way or the other.

The Colt M1849 pocket is highly collectable and a book was writen exclusively about this model and it's variations. It was a popular revolver in it's day and Colt sold alot of them.
  11. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Production ended in 1873. The serial number dates this one to 1862. I don't think I'd call it a late model. It does appear to have a six shot cylinder.
  12. wildrose_68

wildrose_68 New Member

Alpo, I wasn't even born yet. But I prefer Dean Martin if I'm to be honest. ;) I did say I was married, right. Thanks for reminding me how old I am. It was nice when certain things could be implied instead of having right in your face like it is now.
    Anyway, would you know of a good colt book that I can look some of this stuff up?
  13. wildrose_68

wildrose_68 New Member

Would you have a guess on the value or a book/resource to find out?
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Seems like that would be "reminding you of how old you aren't".

R. L. Wilson's books are supposed to be pretty good.
  15. wildrose_68

wildrose_68 New Member

It definately is well used and thanks to some idiot stamping the missing "6" ...
    1862, came from TX, could have seen some war. Don't know though.
    Well I'll check on some of the auction sites. Maybe find what powder measure it is supposed to have.
    Thanks guys.