1849 Colt pocket pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by wildrose_68, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Jim K

Jim K New Member

FWIW, I don't think that "6" was added later, I think it was just lightly stamped. Remember that those numbers were not machine stamped, they were done with hand held stamps, and not all the numbers were put on by the same person, so irregularities are common, especially on the trigger guard where the guard itself gets in the way of stamping the numbers. For example, on an 1849 of mine, the numbers on the frame and barrel are neatly done, well spaced and in line. The number on the guard is crowded, out of line, and with the last three numbers overlapping; the butt number is shifted, with the last number barely on the metal.

Incidentally, it also has the last 5 (of six) on the cylinder and wedge.

If there are further questions, I can check some others.

Jim
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012