1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

1851 navy .44

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by charagrin, May 9, 2007.

1. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

Could I use cast bullets made for reloading into a .44 magnum or .44 special in a single action .44 cal navy? Not the whole shell and all, just the bullet itself. I can get about 5000 of em and my 1851 Navy back from a friend giving up reloading. I dont reload but it'd save money on buying balls all the time. Thats why I origionally gave him my navy to begin with. Anyway can I or no?:confused:

its a modern working replica so im not woried about minor damadge and wear.
    Last edited: May 9, 2007
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Nope. Wrong diameter. Your BP gun needs .451 projectiles and the .44 magnum uses a .429 projectile.

You are not the first to have considered this.

Best to stick with the bullet that the gun was designed to use.
  3. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

Oh well, TY.-Char
  4. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Check with Lyman or an old Lyman manual. Keith had a bullet mould cut for this sort of thing. FWIW, the bullet needs to be soft, 1:20 should do it, and it needs a hollow base cavity to obturate and grab the rifling.

I've been looking for that mould at shows for some time now... >MW