1853 Enfield

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by stonfre, Aug 30, 2006.

1. stonfre

stonfre New Member

1853 Enfield Rifle. I am told it was restored.
    Feel free to ask any questions. Thanks for your interest, and thanks for any assistance.

Attached Files:

2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi stonfre......welcome to TFF. :)

That's a beautiful '53 Enfield 3-Band you've got there. And, indeed, it does appear to be refinished/restored, which, unfortunately, pretty much reduces or eliminates it's collector value.

The Model 1853 was used on both sides during the Civil War. Early in the war, the U.S. was very short on rifles and bought a large quantity of them. They were, however, mostly replaced early in the war as the Model 1861 Springfield rifles were manufactured in larger numbers.

The C.S.A., however, had a very small manufacturing base, and imported a great number 1853's and used them (and whatever else they could get), throughout the war.

Ballpark estimate of value: If your Enfield was unrestored/refinished original in "good" antique condition, it might be worth about $1200....if it were U.S. Martially marked, perhaps in the $1500 range.

If it had "genuine" (beware of fakes) C.S.A. markings, it would be worth much more.....but it would take a "hands-on" evaluation by an expert to properly value it.

As a refinished/restored piece (and I'm really guessing here) I'd say that yours is worth in the $1,000-1,200 range.

In any case, it sure makes a beautiful wallhanger.
  3. Leander H. McNelley

Leander H. McNelley New Member

It sure is a beautiful old gun. It's a funny thing about restoration dropping value. I've never understood it totally.

I was always taught (so I am sure most kids were) that you want to refinish wood from time to time, to seal it, and for certain to keep the metal oiled and cleaned.

I see these old Colt pistols that all the blueing is gone on, or all the chrome is worn off on, and just think to myself, it sure would look nice restored properly.

I guess it depends a bunch on how good a job the restoration is done also?

I'd like to know more about why it drops values so much, because it dang sure does.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Yup Leander, it is indeed funny. And it's also funny that just the opposite holds true in the car collecting world.

A well-restored collector car is worth tons more money than a well kept up car in original condition.

Oh well.....different strokes for different folks....:D