1856 Muzzle Loader

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Riverrat1969, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Riverrat1969

Riverrat1969 New Member

My cousin just called from the West Coast, and he has located a muzzle loader he is interested in. He's driving an 18, so I'm online, asking questions for him.

The muzzle loader appears to be a 36-38 caliber percussion fired rifle with a double trigger. The stock looks to be original, and light colored wood.

On the barrel is stamped, W.E. Suttle 141. Can anyone tell me anything about this piece?

Best regards, Jim
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Many of those rifles were made by small makers and trying to track down any history is difficult and often impossible. Any evaluation would require good pictures and a complete record of markings, mainly to rule out reprodutions.

I did do a quick Google search and turned up this:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SETTLE/1999-02/0919263285

Another source lists a William Settle as a maker of flintlock rifles but he died in 1808; his son, Felix made flint and percussion rifles before the Civil War in Barren County, KY.

Jim
  3. Riverrat1969

Riverrat1969 New Member

Thank you very much Jim. As you surmised, the reason this piece interested my cousin, was because his wife is from the Suttle family (as well as my wife). I think Warren is going to buy it, regardless of any information we can find about it.

Best regards, Jim in VA
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If he does buy it, maybe you can post pictures and see if some better information is out there.

Lotsa luck,

Jim
  5. Riverrat1969

Riverrat1969 New Member

He bought it, and sent a photo with his telephone........not enough to see anything closely. I sent him this link, and while talking to him, he said he might post photos of all of his collection, when he gets back home.

Jim