1858 remington .44

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by caspermedic, Aug 6, 2012.

1. caspermedic

caspermedic New Member

hi i have the opportunity to purchase a 1858 remington .44. it is nonfiring shape, the guy selling it doesnt know much about it other than what his grandfather told him, which he said it was conferderate. it has no military marks and the serial number on the grip is 36960. any knowledge on value would greatly be appreciated thanks

Attached Files:

• gun.JPG
      gun.JPG
      File size:
      140.5 KB
      Views:
    • gun2.JPG
      gun2.JPG
      File size:
      88.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The best thing that can be said about that gun is that what is there appears to be mostly original. The rammer is too short, probably broken off at some point, and all the internal parts appear to be missing. The left grip appears to be broken and the trigger guard is badly bent. There might be some usable parts (cylinder, hammer?) but I doubt they are in any better shape than the rest of the gun, which has been very badly abused.

Unless there is some kind of DOCUMENTED, ABSOLUTE, PROOF that the gun has some historical assosiation, I would value it at $100 or so as a relic.

Jim
  3. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Jim, If you look closely at the picture rather than the rammer being broken off (too short) it appears that the barrel is unscrewed from the frame and is "too long". ;) Looks like somebody pretty much disassembled it, lost some of the parts, and kind of hung things back together for the picture.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Yes, you are right, deadin; I did miss that. So if the rammer is at least intact, that might add a bit of value.

Jim
  5. caspermedic

caspermedic New Member

thanks guys before i posted this i had offered him 50.00, so i wasnt way off, im not an expert on old guns but it looked pretty rough to me.
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I hope you get it for that. That would make a hack of a nice wall piece with some neat hiostory behind it.
  7. caspermedic

caspermedic New Member

i think ill have to pay alittle more to get it, but i dont think it will be too much more than that
  8. RJay

RJay Active Member

Sorry to say, the only history behind the gun is just a tall tale form someones grand father. With out confirmation it is just an old broken Remington that never fired a shot in anger for either the blue or gray.
  9. 76Highboy

Oh heck no, it's been pictured on TFF, that's history right there. Plus, you could just make stuff up and people would probably believe. On the other hand, it would be a neat wall hanger.
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

"The very gun carried by my great great grandfather when he was with Grant at Gettysburg ..." Should impress the naive all to heck.

Jim

(Grant wasn't at Gettysburg, but folks who get their history off TV don't know that!)

JK
  11. caspermedic

caspermedic New Member

haha thanks guys im gonna try that if i get the gun, i think ill go with my great great grandfather carried this at gettysburg and stood next to stonewall jackson and saved his life four times with this very gun! most of my family is from the south, much more believeable.
  12. RJay

RJay Active Member

Better say " Next to Bobbie " By the time of Gettysburg old Preacher Jackson was visiting his arm.
  13. 76Highboy

Jim you made me laugh this morning. IMO, just the rustic age of the gun puts unknown history in it and that in itself is neat.
  14. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

It looks as if the ram and link may be missing but actually it doesn't look that bad. All the missing parts can be replaced, some repro parts can be made to fit. The hard part will be the screws. If it was mine I'd make a shooter out of it.
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Even if the parts can be replaced with repros and the gun made fireable, it would still be of little or no value, so the money would be wasted. For a shooter, it would (IMHO) make more sense to just buy a repro. (And at this point, we don't know the condition of the cylinder and barrel; they may be choked with rust.)

Jim
  16. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

No it wouldn't be worth much but as a shooter(if in good enough shape)it would be neat to have. I had one that looked a lot worse that was a fantastic shooter even tho the barrel was pitted. It had been kept in a barn where I found it with all six chambers loaded. The chambers looked like new. That's not the case with this one I'm sure but it still could be a decent shooter. I'd rather put it together as a wall hanger instead of having a box of parts if nothing else.