1858 Remington 44??

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by SwampFox, Nov 23, 2009.

1. SwampFox

SwampFox New Member

Trying to figure out what I got here. My Dad always called it a Colt 44, but it looks like a Remington to me. My great grandfather carried this gun in the last century. Don't know the years exactly. There are no markings on the gun that I can see except a very small "c" in the brass in front of the trigger.
    I appreciate in help here in identifying this revolver and figuring if its worth anything.
    I'd thought about trading it for something I could actually shoot.
    Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

You are correct. That's definitely not a Colt. It's a Remington, or a close copy. Don't clean it. Take it to someone who knows Civil War guns to get it appraised. It looks to be well worn, but still worth looking at by someone who knows these guns.
  3. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Have this gun appraised/valued by a pro; there may be a value that would surprise you !! This value is not a field for amatures. Civil war firearms are a collector specialty, do not clean or disassemble in any way prior to appraisal.My .02.
  4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Ditto, to the above comment!
    I once held a nice 2nd model Burnside, that had been cleaned with a Dremel, wire brush, and steel, converting a 'pricey' collectable into an affordable 'shooter'! :eek:
  5. SwampFox

SwampFox New Member

I sure appreciate the input. You guys think it is a 1858? It sat in my Dad's desk since I can remember. I am almost 61. I never saw it fired. Hasn't been cleaned in forever, I guess. My Dad died in '89. Any info would be great. And I will get it to an appraiser. Thanks.
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i want to see a picture
  7. SwampFox

SwampFox New Member

Beth, can't see the four pix I posted?
  8. SwampFox

SwampFox New Member

9. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

It sure looks like a Remington but I don't understand lack of markings and serial numbers as doesn't look that worn. Google "Remington Society" and post your pics on their forum.
  10. SwampFox

SwampFox New Member

Had a chance to examine the gun a little better (and had found online where to look.)
    The SN reads 61454

Top of barrel reads "PATENTED SEPT. 14. 1858
    E. REMINGTON & SONS. ILION. NEWYORK. U.S.A
    NEW-MODEL"

Anyone know a value or worth keeping as a collector's piece?
    I appreciate any thoughts.