1858 remington army target model

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by remington1990, Jan 30, 2011.

1. remington1990

remington1990 Member

I have been think on getting me a black powder revolver for some time but I don't know which one to get I looked at the colts army and navy but I was on cabelas web site today and saw a 1858 remington army target model for 229 how good of gun would it be to shoot with every now and then
  2. c.robertson

c.robertson New Member

I have four 1858 Remington, 2 are stainless target models. One a Pietta and the other a Uberti. I found the stainless target Pietta, the brand Cabela sells, to have .457 chambers. HOWEVER, the standard model 1858 Remington Pietta has .454 chambers. :( So go figgure. They are well made, good lock-up and, based on the limited number of times I have shot them, they shoot quite well.
    For the low cost, you can't go wrong.

Attached Files:

3. remington1990

remington1990 Member

I am looking for my first pistol I am a civil war reenactor so I am keeping in mind the cap and ball revolver I think cabelas is 229 for it I like the remington army better then the colts navy
  4. c.robertson

c.robertson New Member

My understanding of re-enactors is a focus on historical accuracy. If that be the case you may be better served with the standard issue '58 Rem. That would be the 3rd revolver from the bottom of my photo post. (They are $200.00 from Cabelas.) I do think the "target" models and case colored frames are a modern invention by Pietta, Uberti, and possibly others for market appeal.
    Just my take on it, I could be wrong.
  5. remington1990

remington1990 Member

I am in the artillery and I would only be carry for the looks. But I am thinking on the colt walker or the colt army too I really like the starr revolver but it too high
  6. TnRebel

TnRebel New Member

I have the 1860 Army 44 I use for re-enacting

[​IMG]
  7. remington1990

remington1990 Member

I like the colt army to but I like the remington because it has the top strap. I am looking at a colt navy in 44 was there every any colt 44 brass frame made by the confederate I was looking at a cabelas shooting magazine they have a 1851 confederate navy in 44 and I didn't know if there was any made in the civil war in 44 in the navys thanks
  8. bubba15301

bubba15301 New Member

there were no brass framed .44s in the civil war.
  9. bill97222

bill97222 New Member

That Cabela's gun with the adjustable sights falls a little short on the reenacting... but it's a nice pistol for the price... Mine can shoot a 1" ragged hole at 10 yds.

[​IMG]

If I were a reenactor, I'd get an 1860 Colt Army... sweet pistol... beautiful to look at, historically accurate and oh so ergonomic.
  10. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Hey guys, is this ".44 Navy" thing a relatively new trend?

In all my historical reading and then when I got into shooting cap n balls heavily maybe 20 years ago the nomenclature was pretty standard....

....."Navy" (even if used by the ARMY;)) were all .36...and...
    ....."Army" (even if used by the NAVY;)) were all .44.

I think maybe guys were confused because many original 1860 ARMY revolvers came with the etched Naval Battle Scene on the cylinder????

But anyway, I got away from shooting them for a few years then low and behold when I start checking catalogues again I start seeing ".44 NAVY revolvers," "Brass Frame .44s...." and it is getting confusing.:cool:

I mean, YES they had a LOT of brass framed revolvers in the Civil War, especially on the CSA side (I think the Rigdon MAY have been a .44 as well as a .36 if I remember right?)

But MOST were .36 NAVYs, and back when I shot them that was all the brass frames you could get...in fact I still have our CVA Brass 1851 that my son and I built from a kit in like 1992....

But I STRONGLY prefer my Traditions 1860 Army, STEEL, and yes, with the "Naval" scene!:p
  11. ElvinWarrior

ElvinWarrior New Member

Rimington1990,

Did you mention the Star Revolver?

Like this one???

[​IMG]

Dixie Gun Works, (DGW) out of Tennessee, lists that revolver, the Star, made by F. LLI. Pietta, at $425.00.... Seems to me thats right in there with the other prices you are looking at, more or less, approximately... If that's the one you really want, why buy something else, and commissurate over it because it was not what you really wanted to begin with?

It's a very nice, and sturdy gun, with a very unusual design, seems to me, it's well worth the extra money, if that is what I wanted.

I am having the same quandry, over the Le-Mat, NOW, THAT PISTOL is pricey !!! $825.00 from Dixie, and $1,025.00 (Same gun, same manufacturer, offered by a different distributor, EMF, Early Modern Firearms... but $200.00 bux more...) Hmmm... I guess these guys think we don't shop around...

Here is a pic, of the Le-Mat

[​IMG]

The Le-Mat is a very unusual gun, in that they were terribly expensive to make because of the design, very few were actuallly made. and fewer still were actually issued. It was designed, and invented, by a French Immigrant to the South, during the Civil War, named... Le-Mat. They contracted out to manufacture the gun, in England, and in France. But only a very few actually were issued out, and those, were only issued to the very top officers of the Conferaderacy. It is said, it was the preffered side arm of the Confederate Generals, and apparently, they were the only few who actually recieved one. It is a Ten (10) shot pistol. Nine, (9) 44 Caliber chambers in the oversized Cylilnder. An Oversized Cylinder pin, that was not a pin, but a 210 Ga, Smooth Bore shotgun barrel, that the cylinder rotated around. That chamber was loaded with a shotgun load of buck shot. So, Ten Shots, 9 in the cylinders, and one in the second 210 Ga single shot shotgun barrel. The 210 Ga chamber, was fired, my folding down the folding hammer tip, so that it did not allign with the Nine (9) cylinder chambers anymore, but, instead, alligned with the center of the cylinder, where the nipple for the 210 Ga second barrel was.... A Very Unique Gun !!! And.... PRICEY !!!

And, AND... If you don't mind one that was pre-owned a little bit, still a modern make, a Pietta, or Uberti, or Pedersoli, try looking it up on Ebay, or, on one of the other online auction houses... TONS of stuff online at those places... I found, a nickle and gold plated engraved, ivory gripped, Pietta, Remington 31 Caliber LKIMITED EDITION Pocket Pistol, something that Pietta says should RETAIL for around $370.00, and were OUT OF STOCK on, nobody had one, so I bought the one in my sig pic below, the standard one, for $200.00, and the guy was letting it go for a buy now price of $45.00 !!! I could have KICKED MYSELF !!! I had just maxed out my card on buying the one from Dixie, with all the possibles and stuffs to go with it, and the ONE I REALLY WANTED, although a year old, but STILL, THE GUN... 45 bux man !!!

Here is a pic, of the special edition Pietta 31 Caliber Pocket Pistol I was trying to find that I found, after the fact, on Ebay, for $45.00 and missed out on...

[​IMG]

Ya just NEVER KNOW...

And.... FYI...

There is another post, on this page, posted by SewerMan (SM), titled "Star DA Pistol"... here is the text...

"I guess many of us here attend several forums other than this one.

I saw a Starr DA pistol for sale on traditional muzzleloaders forum for $375.00 shipped.

i thought i'd pass it on in case someone is interested.....

S.M."

Sincerely,

ElvinWarrior... aka... David
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  12. johnboat

johnboat New Member

it has often been said that during that era that if a soldier had been issued a colt that he would have often purchased a remington on his own because they were thought of by majority to be superior ,i recently purchased 1858 in s/s and it if very acurate even with the original type sights and fun not to mention very easy to clean, also consider the "target" sights may be some what of a hinderence if you plan on using it in certain types of holsters.