1858 Remington Cap and ball

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dcanny, Mar 9, 2011.

1. dcanny

dcanny New Member

I found Nickle and gold plated ASM Italian 1858 Remington 44 cal. cap and ball replica. It has Indian Sambar stag grips and is nicely engraved. It has never been shot but I did not get a box or paper work with it. I gave $750. for it because I thought it was cool. Has any body ever seen these before. I have not heard much good about ASM. It also came with a 45 long Colt conversion cylinder.

Attached Files:

2. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

ASM stands for Armi San Marco, an Italian manufacturer of black powder replica guns which is now out of business. They got started in around 1960, about the same time as Uberti. ASM was know for making quality, near perfect reproductions, the first of which was the 1847 Walker.

The Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms offers the following:

"ARMI SAN MARCO -Previous manufacturer located in Gardone, Italy, acquired by American Western Arms, Inc. in 2000 and reorganized as American Western Arms, Italia. See American Western Arms Inc. listing. Previously imported by E.M.F., located in Santa Ana, CA, and sold through E.M.F., Traditions, Cabela´s, and retail gun stores.
    All Armi San Marco black powder cap and ball and cartridge conversion models were discontinued in 2000. In 1993, the Hartford line was introduced by E.M.F. These models have steel frames with German silver plated backstrap and trigger guard, inspector´s cartouche on grip, and trade for approximately $20-$40 higher than standard Armi San Marco versions."

While I don't have enough info to suggest a value, $750 sounds a little strong. On the other hand, it is a cool gun. Replica guns are generally not collectible, so take it out, shoot it and enjoy it.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Very few imported replica black powder pistols are worth that kind of money. Most of them sell for $300 or less.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The engraving is not going to outshine Kornbrath, but it does add something to the value of the gun.

Jim
  5. Goody

Goody Member

True, but the conversion cylinder is worth $225 used, the stags another $200. Probably overpaid by about $100-150 to my way of thinking. But what the hell, you wanted it, you got it, you're the only one that needs to be happy. Shoot it and have fun.

Do keep the 45 Colt loads on the light side, I would shoot 165 to 185 gr bullets running no more than 700fps. Black Powder or one of the subs is really a better idea. Especially if it happens to be a brass frame. You might scratch a little of the nickle off the frame, under the grips where it won't show.