1858 Remington New Army Model .44 Caliber Revolver Replica

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by MoparGamer87, May 23, 2012.

1. MoparGamer87

MoparGamer87 New Member

My fiancee found this in the attic, the cylinder is in rough shape and the action isn't so good when you try to cycle it on some of the chambers. I don't have any pictures at the moment. It has a brass frame and it was dry fired. (people thinking they're in the 1800s.) All of the nipples except for one are missing, which would the the one that is mushroomed. My question besides pricing would be, is it worth it to buy a new cylinder and where could I do such a thing because my searches are proving nothing. Pin that holds the cylinder was very hard to pull and the loading leaver does not drive all the way into the chambers. Also, when cycled the cylinder doesn't turn all the way on some of them. I have not had permission to break the gun down fully yet but what what I've seen it does have some surface rust and some green on the brass. When you look into the cylinder itself the chambers look almost fuzzy. I have not looked into the barrel tho you can see some rust at the muzzle. Would it be worth it to give this gun a good tune up and cleaning, or is it better to let it be as is to be a piece of art? Thank you very much for reading and sorry for the poor writing skills I have displayed.
  2. dcriner

dcriner Member

You can buy a brand new Pietta New Army revolver replica for $250 from Dixie Gun Works. Based on your description, I would estimate the value of your gun to be negligible. Replacement cylinders are available for around $85 (with nipples), but it sounds like you need more than that. You could clean it up and use it as a wall hanger.
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  3. USNative

USNative New Member

From what you are describing about the condition of the gun you most likely would be better off cleaning it up and displaying it. It would probably cost more than it's worth to fix it up.

I had one of them a long time ago in a .36 cal and I loved taking it out and shooting it. Cap and Ball revolvers are a lot of fun and I kind a miss mine.

I may just get me another one someday. Post pics sometime, I would like to see it.
  4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When you get around to pictures, could you get close-ups of any stamp markings on the barrel and other places--this might help determine the age, who made it, etc.

I have one and it's fun to shoot.
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Cabela's has the steel frame Pietta on sale for 179.99. If the bore cleans up ok the cylinder probably will too but it sounds like it was fired and put away dirty. Depending on who made it will determine how hard parts will be to find. Pietta internal parts plus the hammer will run around 40 and a cylinder if you need one is 50 with nipples. It's not a Uberti with a brass frame but is most likely Pietta or ASM. If it's ASM I wouldn't fool with it.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

This might sound silly, but be sure it is a replica before doing or not doing anything to it.

Jim
  7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Key words~ 58 Remington and brass frame. There was no such animal. There were no brass framed .44's period.