1860 Pietta Army .44

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by David13, Dec 3, 2012.

1. David13

David13 Active Member Supporting Member

That's the order I put in to Cabela's today. With the fluted barrel, as that was the only model they had showing 'in stock'.
    I didn't want to wait for back ordering.
    This is the one with the steel frame.
    I found a place near here, Culver City that has powder, caps, tho' it looked like only #11, and I think this gun should use #10.
    I was thinking I need 451 balls, but the black powder editor video says 454.
    I have found a Cal Gunner who just got the brass framed model. So I may be able to review the procedure with him at Prado or Angeles next week. They allow black powder out there.
    Any advice on this gun would be appreciated.
    I'm only interested in basic target shooting.
    I did see a good video on cleaning a new Pietta.
    dc
  2. David13

Well I got my 1860 Army today, and I'm having fun with it. And learning a lot about black powder and all.
    And I had seen a special at Cabelas, 1858 Army on sale, $169, free shipping.
    When I got my 1860 today, they included a $20 off coupon.
    So I ordered the 1858. They use fast shipping. So maybe next weekend I can shoot both.
    I'm going over to Culver City tomorrow to look at black powder, balls, caps, etc.
    dc
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I love my pietta. Ive got a 1851 confederate colt navy replica. tho its in .44 instead of the true .36. But its fun nonetheless. I am currently using .451 roundballs in mine and they work pretty good but accuracy is better with .454 roundballs. The .451s barely shave any lead when seating, and I believe you need a good ring of lead to come off that ball to facilitate a tight seal and good bore fit.

I also find the best accuracy with 20 gr charge of 3F. Ive tried 25 and 30 gr charges as well. And im using #11 magnums because its all I could find here locally.

Love these mosquito foggers.

My next BP revolvers may very well be a pair of consecutive serialed Dragoon replicas Todd has down at the shop. They are in a french fit case with all the accessories including a conical bullet mold. for 600 bucks.

If it werent for the holidays fast approaching id be playing with them now.. :(
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

.454 balls and #10 caps. You can pinch #11's to fit if you cant get 10's.
  5. David13

Thank you
    I have found that they have the #10s at the range, Angeles.
    So I hope to be out there next weekend.
    I got Goex and .451 and Wonder Wads. I'll see if they have some grease out there, also.
    I hope also to be taking my 1858 Remington (Pietta) at that time. I ordered that one as well, as Cabelas had it on sale for $169 and $20 off. With shipping it was $166.
    I should get it Thursday, so I can shoot both next weekend.
    dc
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Stop by the grocery store on the way out and grab a tub of crisco.. Just in case they dont have grease.
  7. hobby_mesa

hobby_mesa Active Member

...and don't forget the beer for the cooler.
    I hope you're happy, J...looks like I've got to spend more money after all, she loved shooting that thing lol. OK...so fine, I kinda liked it, too :).
  8. David13

I finally got out on Thursday to Angeles and managed to get in 12 shots.
    Cease fire is every 20 minutes, and it took me that long to load and shoot 6 twice.
    I also got a 1858 Remington, and I loaded and shot 12 on that also, before the next cease fire.
    I used Goex 3, and cci #10 caps. No grease or Crisco. I used Wonder Wads, and I got some dowel which came in hand to push the wad onto the powder, and also to gently push the cap on tight.
    Both guns shot fine all 12 each.
    In terms of accuracy, I don't think I'm yet ready to comment. I was just able to be sure I had all the right things in the right places, and the right end of the gun lined up. Next in the equation is trying to figure the accuracy.
    dc
  9. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the update. Will look forward to further updates.
    Black powder is fun; even though it takes a while. Reloading times will improve with practice. Enjoy.:)
  10. David13

Thanks
    I got out to Burro Canyon at a private range yesterday. There were 8 others, and plenty of space. I had a picnic table, very old, and brought my own table.
    I got 18 shots each on the Colt and Remington Piettas.
    One spent cap jammed the Colt, but pulling the wedge and cylinder took about 20 seconds.
    The Remington had 2 caps that didn't fire first shot. They did on second shot.
    I place the caps by hand, then use a dowel to press them in a bit tighter. So I don't know why 2 wouldn't fire, and only on the Remington.
    dc
  11. PMK

PMK Former Guest

You guys just lost me with the tech talk. lol I have an 1851 Navy. Having a hammer issue at the moment. I only paid $60.00 new. That was about 40 years ago! I think. I remember emptying the cylinder on a squirrel at 30 yards once. When smoke cleared, the squirrel was still sitting on the stump wondering why I was making so much noise. I guess I should have at least filed those round balls smooth a bit.
  12. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

It probably would have helped to have aimed a foot below him.:D