1863 Enfield Whats it worth

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dtrouble21, Oct 5, 2010.

1. dtrouble21

dtrouble21 New Member

Hi
    Im trying to find the value of this pistol I have Help anyone
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Sorry, but we will need pictures or at least more information. AFAIK, there was no pistol made by Enfield that was called the Model 1863, but I can be educated. If you can take pictures with a digital camera and store them on your computer, you can then click on "Go Advanced" and browse your own computer to find them and upload them.

It would be nice if you can reduce the pixel size of your photos to the 100k byte range to help speed up/down loading. Also, get good closeups (not blurry) of any markings and overall pics of both sides of the gun.

Jim
  3. albertroberts

albertroberts New Member

Hi. I have purchased an 1863 Enfield flintlock pistol while I am stationed here in Afghanistan. I am confident it is real. The wood is solid and heavy. Every component is stamped with VR and a crown, including the wood. It is stamped 1863 Enfield (also with a crown and VR) on right side, as if you were holding it. I have already cleared customs and mailed it home. I would be interested in selling it if someone were interested. I should be home in January. I can take photos then and see if we could set something up. I dont know what it is worth, but am open to feedback. Thanks! Albert
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

you sure it's a flintlock ? you sure it's not a 1883 ?
  5. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Sounds like a Khyber Pass gun that they used a lock from an Enfield Musket.
    Pictures will be interesting.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

By 1863, Enfield was no longer making flintlocks. If it is a flintlock, it is likely a copy, made in that area (the so-called "Darrah Pass guns"), with fake markings. It was fairly common for makers of those copies to continue making old style guns while "updating" the lockplates so the buyer would think he was getting a new gun.

(Of course that was before the Russians, the Americans, the Chinese, the Iranians, etc., shipped in modern weapons by the ton.)

Jim
  7. mblakeman

mblakeman New Member

I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan myself, and I just found this exact revolver that albertroberts was talking about. I didn't buy it though, it was left in a vacant room that I had occupied. I assumed it was due to customs issues. It has the crowns and the VR's all over it. I was wondering if anyone had come to a conclusion on this one? Also, if anyone knows the customs regs on sending something like this home, or simply carrying it with me on the plane ride home. Sorry, no pics, public computers don't allow us to upload any. I will try and get them up here soon for a better understanding of what we're dealing with. Thanks
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Never say never, but it is almost a certainty that those "British" guns never saw Merrie Olde England. They were all made right there in Afghanistan or close by.

At one time, such guns were rare in this country, since they were usually not commercially imported and the few travellers to that area didn't bother with them.

But with U.S. troops in Afghanistan and with current military regulations banning bring back of modern weapons, the local folks have cranked up the home workshops to turn out brand new antiques for sale to Americans. The markings are always wrong, and words and names are, at best, approximations of English, with letters upside down, backwards or simply non-existent.

What are they worth? As guns, nothing. Most don't function and would probably be dangerous if fired. As souvenirs of an extended vacation in lovely Afghanistan, plus escapes from ambushes, IED's, and other wonderful welcome notes from the local populace, maybe priceless.

Jim