1874 Sharps and tang sights

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Cregg, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Cregg

Cregg New Member

Hello guys;
    This is my first post and hope you all can help. I'm getting a Pedersoli 1874 sharps 45-70 competition rifle and can't find enough info for me to make an intellegent decision on which Creedmore tang sight to put on. I would like to hunt with gun which around here a long shot in the woods is 100yds. so I'd like to sight it in at 75 to 100 yds. Here's my dilemma I would like to shoot out to 600yds with the same sight. Is it possible? I would like the Soule short range or mid range tang sight but don't know if they will go down to 75yds. Does anybody have knowledge to this? Thanks.
  2. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Why don't you email the company for exact specs or try some of the target shooting web sites? I suspect you will find that an aperture suitable for 600 yd target shooting is not going to work well for hunting--particularly in failing light or in the woods.
  3. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

The Pedersoli Long Range sight will regulate down to 50 meters and will go out to 1,000 to 1,200 yards. (maybe farther I don't remember, if I remember right, I've got a lot of sight left even at 1,000 yards) I shoot mine at 50, 100, 150 & 200 meters for club matches, and have shot 980 yards ( I think) at Quigley, and 1,000 yards at Alliance. I would go with the long range sight rather than the mid range sight. The long range will do everything the mid range will do and more. Now the fun part, GO SHOOT:)
  4. Cregg

Cregg New Member

rdstrain49- Is your pedersoli tang on a sharps rifle? I was also thinking of puting a spirit level on the front. Thanks
  5. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

I have a 45-70 PD&S with the Soule sight. I also have a Gemmer Sharps a 45-110. The Soule sight is fine for shooting paper and gongs at known ranges. I have found it to be a poor choice for hunting. The sight is impossible to use in low light conditions. I use the 45-110 to hunt with it has buck horn sights. I have taken Antelope out to 300 yds with no problems.

RC
  6. Cregg

Cregg New Member

Want to put a Hadley eye piece on the creedmore for that purpose. Do you think that would fix the low light problem?
  7. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

There are, or were, a number of outfits that made an adjustable iris aperture. Use smaller opening for target shooting and bright light conditions, use larger opening for lower light conditions, hunting etc.

I do have a spirit level on a Browning High Wall. Must say I'm not impressed. I find it to be more of a distraction than a benefit, but that's just me. Others may like them. I tend to think of the spirit level as an aid for someone who does not have proper form. Again, just my view.

I think you are going to really enjoy the sharps. They are too big, heavy, awkward, did I mention heavy. But I've got to admit, I do like to shoot them. I've carried mine 15 miles through the mountains, during season and plan to do it again. There is just something about the Sharps, I never feel under gunned:)