1880 DBL Barrel Shotgun

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by RobertMichael, Aug 24, 2010.

1. RobertMichael

RobertMichael New Member

Hello,
    I have a shotgun that says Syracuse Forging & Gun Co. Syracuse NY.
    It is a side by side shotgun with two triggers.
    When I break it open, it says June 1st, 1880 on one side and Pat. October 4, 1887 on the other side. It also has large numbers 181 that I assume is the serial number or maybe the number of guns made???
    This is all the information I could find on the gun, so any information anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.
    It looks like a coach gun to me that was carried to guard a stagecoach?
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Syracuse Arms. Co. has a very interesting history. But rather than retyping all of the available information, google Syracuse Forging and Gun Co. and Syracuse Arms Co. It could have been used as a stage coach gun, it could also been used to guard the corner liquor store which is most likely it's use.:D However, who ever decided to cut the barrels down destroyed a very nice collectible shotgun. Plain Jane grade Syracuse shotguns in good condition will bring up to a thousand dollars. Yours, if in excellent condition ,maybe a couple of hundred, if in poor condition a whole lot less, Sorry about that
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  3. RobertMichael

RobertMichael New Member

Thanks for the information, but what did you mean about someone cutting down the barrel??? My gun is in good condition and nothing is cut.
    Still worth a grand?
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

You posted that it looked like a "coach" gun, coach guns have short barrels. What did you mean when you said it looks like a "coach gun"??????????:rolleyes: