The Firearms Forum banner

1889 Winchester model 1887 12g lever action

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  JohnnyD68 
#1 · (Edited)
Ben H, I would like to get an idea of what this could be worth. Serial# 26140 Winchester model 1887 12g.
Very little rust fairly even patina. No cracks in the stocks. It will cycle 2-3/4" shells but I have not fired it(I'm sure it wouldn't be a good idea to do so). I'm considering trading my Kimber Pro Carry II for it. From what I have researched so far and I hope I am correct, it was manufactured late February 1889. Any info on it or its value would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Had one in 10Ga once. I shot about 20 rounds of 3 1/2" through it. Recoil was brutal. Then I discovered that it was chambered for an approx. 2 7/8" 10 ga round. They are, despite all of the negative don't do that, extremely robust weapons. That one is more than likely chambered for 2 5/8" or 2 1/2" 12 ga shells. Your Kimber is worth approx. 3 times the value of the 1887. Bad horse trade on your part.

#3 ·
It's all but guaranteed that it is chambered for 2 1/2-2 9/16 shells. Brass hulls, which would be correct for the 1887, are available from MagTech and another manufacturer who I forget. 1889 is pre-smokeless days so it's black powder. I am hugely surprised the one Diamondback had held together. I don't know their value right now but 5 or so years ago they were in the $600-$800 dollar range.

#4 ·
Hello Johhny,

All Winchester Model 1887 12-gauge guns were chambered for 2-5/8" shells loaded with black powder. Shooting a modern 2-3/4" shell in it is asking for a disaster.

The serial number you mention (26140) was manufactured in March, 1890.

I have no idea what your Kimber is worth, but I doubt that it is worth 3X the value of the subject gun. Based on what I see them sell for, that old shotgun is worth approximately $1100.

Bert H.

#6 ·
Hi Ben, Thank you,
One more question, the date guide I have from Winchester has 1889 serial# range as 25673-29104.
Hi BuffaloChip, Bore is pretty clean, below are more pics.
First one is the bore.

Attachments

#7 ·
Johnny,

The date guide you have is not a Winchester document, and it is not accurate. If you want the correct and accurate date of manufacture, contact the Cody Firearms Museum research office. As I stated the first time, serial number 26140 was manufactured in March of the year 1890.

Bert H.
WACA Historian
WACA 6571L

#8 ·
Johnny,

The date guide you have is not a Winchester document, and it is not accurate. If you want the correct and accurate date of manufacture, contact the Cody Firearms Museum research office. As I stated the first time, serial number 26140 was manufactured in March of the year 1890.

Bert H.
WACA Historian
WACA 6571L
My appologies if it sounded as if I was questioning your info. Not my intention at all sir. I was just curious as to what I had as a reference guide. I assure you the your knowledge and info is respected and appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.