1891 Argentine Mauser

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by poobear, Jan 21, 2009.

1. poobear

poobear New Member

I have a 1891 Argentine Mauser. It is a wonderful shooting rifle but it has had the original stock cut down. Does anyone know of someone that may have a original stock or if there is any other military stock that will fit? I have found new modern type stocks for it but would like to keep it military.

Thanks
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

3. poobear

poobear New Member

Thanks JLA. I have been trying these people. They do on occasion get used stocks but they said this is a hard one to find that hasnt been sportsterized. I may just haft to live with this or just go ahead and put a modern hunting stock on it and hope one day to find an original.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i hear ya. is yours in its original chambering? Most people that underwent sporterization had thiers rebarrelled to .308 or .30-06. The 7.65X53MM round they are chambered for is a very potent caliber and will fill the very close gap between .308 and .30-06 if handloaded carefully.
  5. poobear

poobear New Member

It is in its original cal. I was suprised the barrel hadnt been cut down or rebarrelled as it seems is the norm for this rifle, but the hardware is all original. Just the stock was cut. It is a very accurate rifle just as it is. The 7.65 Argentine ammo isnt real cheap but its not to bad on price. I have found some nice stocks a Richards Gunstocks. I might get one for a temp use until I can find a original stock.
  6. lead

lead Well-Known Member

Try the folks at www.surplusrifle.com Lots of collectors there and some sponsor companies that might be able to help.
    BTW, look for Prvi Partizan ammo. My local shop carries it. A box of 20 SP hunting rounds is about $14. It's good ammo.
  7. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

poobear, Is it a rifle or carbine? makes a big difference when you're shopping for a stock. Finding an unmolested stock is like trying to find hens teeth. There's a guy that will be at the Big Reno Gunshow in April that had two on his table for sale last time I went. Another option is a member on the Surplus Rifle forum that has a stock duplicator, he's been turning out hard to find stocks for the members there. One catch, if he doesn't have a template stock, you'll have to find someone that has a good stock he can copy. His prices aren't bad either.
    JLA, you're thinking of the 1909 Argentine 98 large ring action, an 1891 small ring wouldn't hold up long under those chamber pressures. 7.65 Argentine needs to be around 43,000 CUP, .308 Win runs about 50,000 CUP.
    8mmman, email sent on the ammo.
  8. poobear

poobear New Member

It is the long rifle not the carbine.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Nice catch trap. I hadnt given it any thought until i read your post. you are correct, i was indeed referring to the 1909 loewe in my safe, which i do load for and wouldnt trade for the world. In fact, i hadnt even thought about the pressure tolerances between the two until now. good save...
  10. Munch

Munch Member

I have also been searching for an unmolested 1891 stock. It seems that the same guy had both of our rifles. mine is also in original chambering, but the stockhas been hacked and chopped beyond recognition. If you have had any luck or if anyone has heard or seen of anywhere since the original posting of this thread. Please share on here!
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  11. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

That is a very nice rifle. I picked up one like that at a pawn shop earlier this year, but my stock was more crudely cut. I found a stock for it at Liberty Tree Collectors. They had some engineer carbine ones online, I called them and they had one in stock for $150. I'll try to get some pics to post. I think I talked to the owner on the phone and he was very helpful.
    Here's the link: https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/ltc-default.asp?

Now I just need to find a shiney magazine (I'm not sure if it is chrome or stainless) because mine has the anchor markings on the bolt and rear sight. I think that means it's a navy model, but the magazine doesn't match.
  12. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

They have nice reprodution handguards in long and short lengths. I used insulated magnet wire from radioshack to secure my handguard. The insulation is clear so it just looks like copper wire, and it won't discolor the handguard.
  13. Munch

Munch Member

Wow, you just made my day! I will be on that site so fas......
  14. Munch

Munch Member

Thank you Warriflefan!!!! That is the site that I have been looking for since beginning my quest for historical, yet shootable rifles. I didn see any stocks for the 1891, but I did find the fore-end for my Enfield No.1Mk.III. It seems to be my station in my personal firearm realm to find the pieces that beg to brought back to their former glory, and I dont mind that a bit... I will be calling tomorrow about the 1891 stock!
  15. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

Glad I could help! I always check there for parts first.