1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

1891 Colt SAA??

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rathorn14, Apr 15, 2011.

1. rathorn14

rathorn14 New Member

My friend has inherited a Colt Single Action Army revolver with a 4 3/4" or 5 1/2" barrel. It is nickel, with mother of pearl grips, and there is some wear from being holstered. the serial number, 137366, can be found on the bottom of the barrel, the trigger guard, and the on the butt of the gun. The only other markings on the barrel are ".38" and "Colt". The number 23 is engraved upside down on the inner side of the loading gate.
    I believe the gun was manufactured in 1891, and I believe the caliber to be .38-40 or .38 WCF (Winchester center fire.) The gun was supposedly one of a matched pair of custom ordered pistols, with the other being lost when the owner's ship sank off the coast of Nova Scotia, so it has sentimental value as well.
    I'd like to find more information about the piece, and what it might be worth. I'm hoping to get a letter of provenance from Colt Manufacturing, as I'm not sure what the paper work with the gun is or says about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum can u post pictures please
  3. rathorn14

rathorn14 New Member

I don't have any pictures right now, as the gun is in storage with other family valuable, but I can dig it out and snap a few tomorrow.