1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

1892 Winchester 32-20

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by kemper, Jun 28, 2010.

1. kemper

kemper New Member

Hi Everyone, I have an 18" 1892 win., full octagonal, 4 screw 32- 20 lever action, manufactured in 1909. Does anyone know the history on this barrel length. It does not look like the trapper and I cannot seem to find anything on this length. It is in great condition and fires true and straight. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Without seeing the gun (and possibly even then), it would not be possible to be sure whether the barrel is factory, but it well could be.

In that era, Winchester would install any length barrel the customer wanted. Extra length barrels cost $1 per inch, IIRC, and short barrels, down to 12 inches, were available on special order. Your 18" barrel is unquestionably legal and, if factory, will bring an extra premium, but not a lot.

Jim
  3. kemper

kemper New Member

Thanks so much
  4. 2bit

2bit New Member

Kemper,

You state that your rifle was manufactured during 1909 and as such it is beyond the range of exisitng Winchester production ledgers which would have noted the original barrel length. 18 inch barreled sporting rifles were not a real uncommon item. If you could give me the serial number, (all 6 digits please), and some detail photos of the barrel address, front sight and magazine retaining band I should be able to tell you if it is factory original. Please include on shot with a tape measur next to the barrel.

I also am very interested in what the upper tang stamp on your rifle might look like. Is the top line "MODEL 1892" or "REG. IN U.S.PAT. OFF."?

Thanks
    2bit/Michael