1892 Winchester

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cjarms, Aug 30, 2012.

1. cjarms

cjarms New Member

I have a Winchester 1892, serial number 63758, 24" octagon barrel, 38 WCF. The gun has the original bluing, most has been worn off, some minor rust spots, not pitted, stock is straight. I would appreciate knowing what's it worth.
    Thanks
    CJARMS
  2. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Hello CJARMS,

The good news is that it is a true "Antique" per federal regulations, and it was manufactured in late summer of 1896.

From your brief description, it is a plain jane Sporting Rifle. The value is highly dependent on the graded condition of the gun. In order to accurately evaluate and assess it for you, I need to see several clear detailed pictures of the rifle.

Bert H.
  3. cjarms

cjarms New Member

I took a number of pictures yesterday and have included them for your review.

Attached Files:

4. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Bad news... the serial number on your Model 1892 is actually 163758, which means that it is a 1901 vintage "modern" firearm. The difference in the value is a 25% reduction.

The pictures are not showing me enough of the rifle. Additionally, the pictures are fuzzy/blurry. Take the rifle outdoors in natural light, find a shaded area that is brightly lit (avoid direct sunlight), and take pictures of the rifle from front to back on both sides. Do not use a white background as it creates too much contrast.

Bert H.
  5. cjarms

cjarms New Member

Thanks for your help. perhaps these pictures will serve you better.

thanks
    cjarms

Attached Files:

• 1H.JPG
      1H.JPG
      File size:
      90.5 KB
      Views:
    • 1G.JPG
      1G.JPG
      File size:
      81.8 KB
      Views:
    • 1I.JPG
      1I.JPG
      File size:
      63.7 KB
      Views:
    • 1J.JPG
      1J.JPG
      File size:
      77.4 KB
      Views:
  6. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

The pictures show a clean and more importantly, a factory original old Sporting Rifle. It has very typical wear and finish loss consistent with 111-years of use.

The graded condition is approximately 30% which is slightly below what the serious Model 1892 collectors are seeking, but it is still a desirable old Winchester lever-action. If it were mine to sell, I would put a $2000 price tag on it, and be willing to haggle with the price by a few hundred.

Bert H.
  7. cjarms

cjarms New Member

Thank you so much for the information. It was extremely helpful.

thanks again,

cjarms