1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

1893 Marlin Lever-Action Rifle 30-30 Cal.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CATX, Mar 21, 2006.

1. CATX

CATX New Member

I have an old lever-action Marlin rifle that I am trying to value for insurance purposes.

Weapon is in good mechanical order (hammer, firing pin, trigger, etc.). Gun has original walnut stock, metal butt plate, octagonal barrel and buckhorn sight (as far as I can tell). Stock has a few small scratches but no gouges and what looks to be an original finish. Bluing on the receiver is light possibly meaning it is mostly worn off (i.e., not the traditional blued coloration of a new firearm). Bluing on the barrel is good except on the high edges of the octagonal barrel.

I am not sure where this would be scored (in points) and what it would be worth. A ballpark indication would be helpful, given I have not provided any photos. Any help or links would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

maloneytx@yahoo.com
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi CATX......welcome to TFF. :)

Is this a rifle or a carbine? If a rifle, what's the length of the forearm? Solid frame or takedown? Blue or case colored receiver?

If a carbine, does it have a saddle ring? Rubber or steel buttplate?
  3. CATX

CATX New Member

Sorry for the delay - have been traveling. Gun is a rifle, with a forearm that
    is ~10 - 12 inches. Steel buttplate. I think the frame is takedown (gun breaks in half at the barrel end of the receiver). Receiver is best described as case (i.e., not consistent with the barrel 'blue' finish).
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

How is the upper tang marked? "Model 1893", suggests an early rifle; "Model 93", a later gun. As factory records arwe incomplete, this is a significant difference;about a thousand dollars, in Yankee terms. As I understand the situation, the pre 1899 rifle, with the '1893', on the tang, ought to be circa $1500; post, (M93), about $1000 less.
    Hope this helps,
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

OK.....IF your rifle is marked "Model 1893" (not "Model '93"), is a takedown model with a case colored reciever, the Blue Book says it's worth:

90% - $2160
    80% - $1680
    70% - $1260
    60% - $990
    50% - $750
    40% - $540

% = percentage of original finish left
  6. CATX

CATX New Member

Thank you very much for your feedback - much appreciated. I took another look to make sure that I wasn't misreading anything - the gun is marked "Model 1893". Have a good week.
  7. RollenThunder

RollenThunder New Member

Mine To! Is Also Marked Model 1893 But It Is Not The Takedown Model Mine Does Not Have The Takedown Ring Between The Barrel And Receiver And It Seems To Me. That They Had Alot Of Variations That Year!