1893 Winchester RIFLE not shotgun?????

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Jim88, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Jim88

Jim88 New Member

Yesterday I spoke with a gentleman who collects old rifles such as Winchester and showed him the photos. He said to bring the rifle to him, because he is interested in purchasing it. The CODY letter correctly matches the rifle and he liked that. I had met him at a gun show recently. He also said that the case hardened lever and hammer are proper, however as for the receiver it would not matter to him if it is just an aged blued receiver. According to him, bluing was normal on these 1898 made 1894 model rifles because the receiver is different in weight than the other models. He never saw an 1894 deluxe take-down full length magazine other than photos. Especially with a straight presentation grade fancy walnut shotgun style stock. He told me the brass disc inlet is most likely factory, because it was left blank. An aftermarket inlet would have been completed with a monogram, and not left unfinished.

I think I will show the rifle first to someone who is neutral on buying so as to get a better understanding on value.

Let me also try to get some better photos in sunlight as suggested. Whether or not the receiver is case hardened, is still a mystery at this time....
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Another FWIW, color case hardening could be ordered on the 94 at extra cost, but was rare since the 94 was made with a steel receiver from the beginning, where the older rifles had receivers made from wrought iron. Iron can't be hardened, so the only way to get a wear-resistant surface was case hardening - the color was an option. The steel receivers could be hardened, so case hardening was no longer needed and was a costly and time-consuming process that sometimes ruined the receiver, so makers dropped it as soon as they could. A few makers (e.g., Colt) kept it for cosmetic purposes and as a kind of trademark, but it was no longer necessary.

Jim
  3. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Jim,

Winchester shifted to steel receiver frames in the late 1870s, and they continued to color case harden the Models 1873, 1876, 1885, 1886, and 1887 right up to August of 1901. Color case hardening could be special ordered on the Models 1892 and 1894 up to that same date.

Bert H.
  4. Jim88

Jim88 New Member

Well, figured I'd start with this - Here is the verbatim details from the official CODY letter for this rifle: Which matches it perfectly, but does not give any other info such as stock/checkering etc. ....

"TYPE; Rifle
    Caliber; 30
    Barrel Type; Octagon
    Trigger; Plain
    TAKEDOWN

Received in warehouse on November 5, 1898. Shipped from warehouse on November 5, 1898. Order number 8549

No other information is available for this serial number."
  5. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Just another FWIW (aka Interesting Trivia)
    If you go to the Browning Museum in Ogden UT you will see what we call the Winchester M1894 displayed as the Browning M1893. Same thing with the other JMB designed Winchesters. (M1895=M1894, M1886=M1885, M1885=M1884, etc.......) It all makes sense when you realize they are his prototypes.
    (I can't even imagine what they would sell for on the open market.)
  6. Jim88

Jim88 New Member

Buffalo, I just found out more news. Seems CODY is not as accurate as some people bet their life on.
    I also may have given them the wrong model # of 1892 instead of 1894. Anyway there can be at times some addendum's or special order suffix lines on the original documents that CODY workers neglect, miss or confuse to correct serial #'s when printing letters. I will in the near future get you those outdoor photos AND will be demanding CODY perform another lettering for free. Will update soon. Thank you for your expertise.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012