1893 Winchester shotgun question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Rev75emb, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Rev75emb

Rev75emb New Member

Recently acquired a '93 Winchester ~ shoot a lot of CAS and am familiar with the '97 and the eveloution of the '93 into the '97 ~ when I got the '93 I noticed two open holes on the right side if the receiver ~ the top one just forward and under the hammer is to insert a screw driver to unscrew the claw screw ~ the other one is my question: it is just over the forward part of the trigger guard .. and it's threaded ~ there was no screw in it .. it does not go all the way through the receiver .. I cannot figure where it goes in the action (which works fine without it) or what it's purpose is ~ but I don't want to fire the gun (using brass 2 5/8" shells with a mild charge of black 2f) until I know ~ can anybody out there help me in this?
    Thanks, Slash 8
  2. whiteagle

whiteagle New Member

ON MY 1893 TOP HOLE IS OPEN -BOTTOM HOLE HAS SCREW IN IT. I REMOVED IT AND IT IS SECURING A THIN METAL STRIP INSIDE. YOUR GUN CAN JAM IF THIS OF PIECE METAL IS NOT SECURE. IT IS A VERY, VERY SHORT SCREW. I WOULD PUT A SCREW IN IT BEFORE YOU OPERATE YOUR GUN. IF YOU CANNOT DO IT YOURSELF TAKE IT TO A GUNSMITH.
    ON MY GUN THE HOLE NEAREST TO THE FIRING PIN IS OPEN AND IS NOT THREADED AND SERVES NO PURPOSE THAT INTERFERES WITH THE MECHANISM OF THE GUN.
    THE HOLE NEAREST TO THE BARREL AND MORE FORWARD IS THREADED AND MUST HAVE A SCREW IN IT TO SECURE TE INNER PLATE.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009