1894 winchester, please tell me about it

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jmancrain, Dec 7, 2009.

1. jmancrain

jmancrain New Member

my dad just gave me a model 1894 winchester thats not in very good shape at all but its the gun ive always wanted so im gonna clean it up, all the parts are here and the gun action is very smooth and i believe it would fire. the stock is very worn and the fore arm is broken in two. i just wanna know what ive got and if it would be worth restoring. the numbers on it are 43831. ive looked a couple of places and havnt found any other guns with 5 digits. please tell me what year this was made.

Attached Files:

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

SN 43831 was made in 1895.

Replacement stocks are available here. http://www.precisiongunstocks.com/index1.html Don't know where you'll get the metal for the end of the forearm, or the hanger or the mag tube.

You might check with some collectors, before you do anything else with it. Even in that bad a shape, being that old, it might have more value as it is, than it would if you rebuilt it. You might could sell it and get enough to buy a newer gun, in better shape.
  3. tarheel101

tarheel101 New Member

You have a very collectable rifle and it would be better to have it properly restored to as good condition as you can without doing more harm than good. My guess is your rifle is approaching a value of $1000 as is. Don't mess with it until you have collected all the information you can to keep this a collectable firearm.
    You could shoot or hunt with it but if it were mine I would find another rifle for that purpose and retire this one.

Congradulations on a really nice heirloom.

Tarheel
  4. jmancrain

jmancrain New Member

i forgot to add that i do have the metal piece that goes on the forearm and the mag tube and the spring.. the only thing that isnt there are the straps that go around the mag tube and the barrell... i bought a box of shells yesterday and the gun does shoot and is very accurate.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

There are no straps. The straps (they are called "barrel bands") are on carbines. Your gun, as can be seen by your barrel, is a rifle. It does not have barrel bands.