1895 Nagant Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 26, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

gamehunter3
    (7/20/02 2:09:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All nagant revolver
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I was on vacation in Philly in May I bought a nagant revolver. I seems to be a lot different than the ones you see around. It says nagant 7.62 calibre, but it has the leige marking on it. plus a F with a star above it and an F with a crown above it. The only numbers is 98 stamped on almost every piece of it. The gun is silver with wood grips. The cylinder is longer and it is a 7 shot. The gun shop sold it to me as a pre 1898. I pay $150. for it I would like to know more about this gun and what it is worth. it is in very nice shape. I heard somewhere this type was a officers revolver and it is a double action where as the other nagants that you see around alot
    were the troops revolver.

Thanks Jerry in Florida

The LawII
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/20/02 2:45:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Tried to find it...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tried looking in the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms, the only variant they show is for the KGB model with the 3.5" barrel instead of the 4.35" barrel like mine. A KGB model I missed on auction it went for just over $500.00. If yours has not been arsenal refinished it's at the very least worth double what you paid for it. BTW What is the barrel length?

gamehunter3
    (7/21/02 7:57:37 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Nagant Revolver
    The barrel is 3.5 inches long and the gun has no import marks.

Jerry in Florida

The LawII
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/21/02 11:24:07 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Hey Jerry!!!
    You have a varient of the KGB, can you flip it over on the other side and take a snapshot. It should have the i.d. and a stamp or no stamp on it.
    This is what the catalog says;

MODEL 1895 Nagant (KGB)

This is a standard Nagant with the important exception of a 3.5" barrel and shorter grip frame. Used by the Russian secret police during the Stalin years. Extremely rare. Proceed with caution.(assuming there may be fakes)
    Exc.=2000.00
    V.G.=1500.00
    GOOD=1000.00

gamehunter3
    (7/21/02 1:00:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del nagant revolver
    There is no stamp on the otherside. it only says:
    NAGANT
    cartridge
    calibre
    just above the left grip. on the rightside of the frame there is a F with a star above it and out on the barrel there is another F with a star above it and next to that is a R with a small object above it. It has the number 98 the frame, cylinder, trigger, the rod under the barrel and the loading gate and probably a few other places too. No serial number. I have only seen one other one like this and it was on gunbroker about 6 to 8 months ago.

Jerry in Florida

The LawII
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/21/02 1:07:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del KGB Nagant
    Jerry that one you saw on GB was the same one I was bidding on. It had been re-arsenaled but sold at a good price. I may still have a picture of it in my auction watchlist archives...I'll look. BTW with no other markings I think you could at least double your money. at Gunboards.com the have a section dedicated to the 1895 nagant. I think though you ought to hang on to it...

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/2/02 2:44:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Nagant...
    Jerry in Florida, Did you ever get the Nagant Pistol identified?

gamehunter3
    (9/2/02 3:40:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del nagant
    Not really. I had one guy said it was a pre 1895, pre gas cylinder (before the cylinders moved ahead when fired, Prevete Nagant. I saw a Prevete Nagant and it looked like all the others but not like this one.I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks Jerry in Florida

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/2/02 6:42:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Nagant...
    Jerry, If you can e-mail me your e-mail address at doug_lebel@yahoo.com,I'll reply with my real e-mail address. Then send me a Pic and I'll see what I can find out! Doug