1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

1895 nagant revolver???

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by new sks 2005, Aug 27, 2006.

1. new sks 2005

new sks 2005 New Member

anyone own one of these revolvers? are they fun to shoot? thinking about getting one.
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I am too...;)

I bought one of the very last available from AIM from the last batch a couple of years ago for $49.99. I got a 1940 (or 41?) dated Tula, in MINT rearsenaled condition, with a matching holster, cleang rod, and neat two sized crude commie wood handled screwdriver. Mine had the cheap commie late WWII or post WWII "bakelite" commie plastic grips, that look pretty good, even though a lot of guys got them with the original wood checkered ones that if they are in GOOD shape look BETTER and are more historic, BUT can also show up looking ratty, chipped, stained, etc, and would be tough to refinish.

It also had a STRANGE "WR" stamped above the Tula star that i never figured out, as I was told there is no such thing as "w" in cyrillic.

It had about a 10 or 12 # (or MORE?)SINGLE action pull, and double action needed a small block and tackle assist :D

BUT I remember there are websites dedicated to shooting this gun, with all kinds of advice on lightening the pull. REmember, your trigger finger pull is not ONLY rotating the cylinder and cocking the hammer, it is ALSO pushing the cylinder forward to lock up with the barrel....which is kind of neat too...;)

Anyway at the time only Fiochi loaded ammo for them, and NOBODY had it. I finally found some Russian "Target Wadcutter" ammo for it for like $26/40 rounds, but the box it came in was neat, all in Cyrillic.

I fired EXACTLY two cylinders through it, it was actually pretty accurate in spite of the crappy trigger, with the target ammo it sounded and felt like I was shooting a .22.

One of the MAIN reasons I wanted it is because at the same time replacement cylinders allegedly allowing .32ACP to be fired through them were available, I even bought a box of WW .32ACP for it BEFORE I bought thte Nagant! (I still have it!:cool: )

But right at the tiem I got mine, those cylinders were "pulled" from the market, and I heard (not confirmed) from many sources that the problem was the bullet jumping the gap was cracking or peening the chamber of the barrel, since the nagant round mouth actually seats IN the chamber, the zNagant has no "forcing cone" like other revolvers(that is ANOTHER neat thing, the bullet is seated INSIDE the case, flush with the mouth...the wadcutters were seated WAY down in the case, so you had to look to be able to see if it was even a LOADED round!)

Since some places were advertising "New and Improved" .32 ACP cyls for them, but I think it's a bad idea.

Other people have said you can fire .32 HR Mags in them, and other rounds, but I think that would be a bad idea even if you COULD find THOSE rounds any easier!

But at the gun show yesterday EVERYBODY had Fiochi FMJ Nagant ammo, but it was a little pricey, anywhere from $30-$35/50. But it IS supposed to be EASILY reloadable., and theroetically with all the .30 cal bullets available, you could really get creative with loading for it.... Plus EVERYBODY also had that "new" Russian target ammo in the yellow boxes than SOG sells for $14.95/40.

And I read in a magazine that Wolf is going to bring out "affordable" ammo for it, but I haven't seen any yet.

I sold mine in the "lull" between batches, after the first batch was gone, to a DEALER at a gun show, with 14 rounds neatly stored in the ammo pouch on the holster, and the box of remaining ammo, for $125 cash and have been regretting it since.

SO this week I just MAY be ordering another from SOG, for the $89.99 price.

They ARE neat to have, kind of a cross between a MODERN D/A revolver and a Colt SAA, with the ejector rod and side gate....plus that goofy looking moving cylinder is a REAL conversation started....

ANY Russian collector NEEDS at least ONE hanging next to his MN RIFLES, right????;) :D :D
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  3. I'm rather tempted too at the price they are offering them now, Polish. The only Nagant revolver I ever shot was one belonging to a friend of mine. And like you said, the trigger pull on the darn thing was absolutely abysmal, especially double action. Frankly, for C&R handguns, I'm more tempted to buy one the CZ 52s that are out there for about $130.00 right now. Has anyone had any experience with these autos?
  4. Patman1951

Patman1951 New Member

I have a CZ52 and like it a lot. The only complaint I have with it is the european style magazine release, the type at the bottom of the magazine. I'm a fan of the 1911 style magazine release. Other than that one thing, it's a great gun. It's has more accuracy than I can use. When it ejects a case, it sends it flying. It probably throws the empty cases the farthest of any gun I own. That may bother you if you plan on reloading the cases. I hope that's of some help.
    Thanks,
    Pat
  5. polishshooter

Yeah, PS, a CZ52 is on my list of "Get one before they go away CRs," but I've missed out on a lot of guns on that list by waiting too long, and it looks like I may have missed the boat on these last year...there were some GREAT looking EX ones available for $99 with two mags until then, now I'm starting to see "VG-1 mag" for $129, that's not a good sign!

When they first hit the market, they were hot, and like anything else that got hot there are websites that talk just about them, modifying them, etc.

And I'm starting to see aftermarket stuff for them, like a "bolt release that only needs partial modifications to the grip (?)" I don't know what that's for, but I DO know guys say that when you fire it at the range you get a lot of looks, I guess it's pretty LOUD.

A lot of guys claim that the 7.6x25 is actually the world's first "magnum" cartridge, like one of the highest velocity ones in it's day. Kind of a necked down 9mm loaded to capacity.

At the show yesterday there were lots of them around, but all at $159 or more.

And I hear you pat about the European heel release...that's why I kinda like the Makarov because you can put the split ring through the hole in the heel clip, so you can just pull on it quickly and the mag falls out, but I don't know of any other Euro designs that have the hole in it....

I oughta start a thread about the guns on that list I missed...let's see...the $179 Jungle carbines, the $49 CZ50 .32s, the $79 SMLEs, the $79 91/59s, the....:mad: :mad: :mad: :cool:
  6. Pristine Mauser K98s with full German SS markings . . .
    Springfield A303s for less than $50.00 . . .( that one goes back a LONG ways ;) )

Yeah, I hear ya, Polish. I just may pick up one of those CZ 52s while there's still some nice ones out there and they're not outrageously expensive. The cartridge is supposed to be pretty amazing, not to mention, ammo is dirt cheap.

As for the heel release, yes, it is a bit ackward, but I have a Sig P230 (made in the Bundes Republik Deutschland over 20 years ago) with that design and I don't find it particularly hard to deal with once you get used to it. In fact, I carry it fairly often. It's a small, light pistol and in a reasonably effective caliber (9mm Kurz, .380). And since it was German made, it is fine quality by definition! :p
  7. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I shot my buddy's an it was a good gun
  8. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I owned one and it is fun but expensive to shoot and it shoots high.
  9. polishshooter

Well, since I last posted I bought a Nagant revolver, and have put around 50 rounds of Nagant target ammo through it, as well as 50 rounds of Aquila .32 S&W Long 98 gr lead RN I picked up at a recent show....

Mine I got to pick out from several when I picked it up at SOG, and i got a good one, a 1934 Tula imported n=by Tennesse Guns, NOT Century, which is neat because the import stamp is under the barrel like my old one, not prominently on the side of the frame like Century ones....

And mine had the smoothest trigger of all the ones I checked, even if the DA pull is still around 16 pounds, but the SA pull is about 6 or 7, and pretty crisp.

With the Nagant Ammo single action, fairly rapid fire, it's pretty accurate for "plinking," nothing to brag about at 10 yds or so, maybe all 7 into about 4-5 inches or so, maybe with practice and taking my time I could get it down to 2 or 3", but it's not a hunting piece.

With the .32 Long, it's more like 8-9" at 10 yds, but a HECKUVA lot cheaper to "plink" with than the Nagant ammo!;)

Wolf is SUPPOSED to be bringing out "affordable" Nagant ammo, but I haven't seen any yet, but MFS has some 98 gr FMJs for like $22 at SOG which is a little BETTER, but I still like the .32 Longs for $8.95/50 for my plinking in the meantime....

I really like my Nagant M95, this one isn't getting sold even if I DO get somebody to offer me $125 for it like my last one.....;) :p
  10. Polish, I did get myself a CZ 52 and it was one of the best C&R investments I ever made. EXCELLENT handgun: accurate, powerful, and easy to shoot. The military sights are the pits, but I may try to replace those and get a better set of grips for it as well. The MN 95s are nice collectors pieces, but for the money, the CZ 52 is a much better buy IMHO.
  11. polishshooter

Yeah, PS, I still don't have one yet, but I'm still looking at them...that "Wild Card Wednesday" coming up in this months SOG flyer just might be the day....$114, even if I have to spend $15 extra to get an extra mag and the holster for it...

I'm STILL kicking myself for holding off when they were everywhere for $99 with the extra mag included...I would have BET they would go to $79 ....:cool: :p

But you ALSO better order your Nagant on the 23rd, $68 is even less than I paid for mine, and "hand-picked" is only $5 extra for them....

SOG used to run these monthly specials all the time when I first got my CRFFL, I hope they keep them up. I bought a LOT of my original CRs this way...

I'd LOVE to see another "5fer" deal like they used to have, like the "Mix and Match" Polish and Hungarian M44s, 5/$175...;)
  12. AJshooter

AJshooter New Member

the revolvers are pretty fun yes. but expensive to shoot , and very complicated to reload for . hotshot makes ammo for around $30 a box roughly . but it wouldnt surprise me to see wolf make some eventually though.
  13. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

Buffalo arms makes brass in 7.62 nagant for 50 cents a case. It's not resized 32-20 either. I've gotten lots of reloads out of mine, I think because the pressure is so low for the round.
  14. waynescyclegarage

waynescyclegarage New Member

I have a beautiful 1928 that is like new. The trigger pull is not bad considering that in double action the cylinder moves forward. Mine shoots well and accurate.
    Ammo is readily available from different manufacturers. JG has the HOT SHOT for about $25 for box of 50.
    I see no reason not to get one yourself, JG has them as well as SOG and they are in very good to excellent condition, come with the proper holster and accessories $99
    wayne
  15. polishshooter

I need to start reloading for mine, I am running out of the cheap .32 Long...every gun show I scour every "Junk Box" of miscellaneous old ammo I find and it is amazing how many boxes of .32 long I have found, some for as little as $4 or $5:p

In one of them I actually found a 40 round box of that Russian Target Nagant ammo too for $4.00!!!

Funny, but RIGHT now, sitting at the computer, in this room full of old shotguns, and cased rifles and other stuff, in the drawer about 18 inches from me is that old revolver, loaded with ,32 Long. My REAL handguns are in my bedroom or hidden in a closet or case...

Somebody kicks in the front door and I'll probably end up grabbing the old Nagant FIRST...:eek:

Maybe I ought to put one of my Makarovs or the M57 Yugo in that drawer instead:p:D

Or hope I can put him down with the 7 rounds, since that's all I will have unless he gives me 5 minutes to reload...:cool: