The Firearms Forum banner

1897 winchester barrel change

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rhmc24 
#1 ·
I have been working on fire arms for over 35 yrs.I would like to share something to all you out there that use the 1897 win....I was fixing another 97. and I needed a bbl. I used a model 12 bbl...the tpi.is 32. on the bbl is the same as the 97 but it is 5 threads shorter. so what I did I cut another locking extension down to 3 threads.on the lathe enough to lock the front lock ring in place in the receiver once I had it set in place I lock tight it.the mag tube works great.
the gun still takes down the same way there is just no magazine tube support around the part that goes into the frame.
the gun is like a none take down 97 where the bbl screws into the frame and the mag tube just fits into the lower section of the receiver...the bbl still unlocks and comes off....the other way you can use a model 12 bbls is push the threads forward so you can use a model 1897 bbl extension and the bbl works fine.The head space is great,
feeds great ejects fine. just some thing I would like to share with you all out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.