1901 30-40 Krag Value?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by banjodave, Jun 2, 2012.

1. banjodave

banjodave New Member

I have an old 30-40 Krag (serial number 295599) that, as far as I can tell is completely original. It even has a nifty little brass muzzle cover. I don't think it's had more than a box of shells shot thru it. I think it's VG+. It has a little very light rust here and there and the stock has a few little dings and scratches. The stamp on the stock says 1900 under some fancy initials. My wife's dad bought it to go deer hunting once and I think that was about its only action ever. I'm curious what it's possibly worth?

Attached Files:

• K1.jpg
      K1.jpg
      File size:
      251.6 KB
      Views:
    • K2.jpg
      K2.jpg
      File size:
      246 KB
      Views:
    • K3.jpg
      K3.jpg
      File size:
      249.1 KB
      Views:
    • K4.jpg
      K4.jpg
      File size:
      202 KB
      Views:
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

First, this is not my strong field of expertise.

Second, very nice rifle, in an overall condition not usually seen outside of collections today.

Third, do not do any more than wipe it down good with an oily cloth; and do do so to remove loose rust and stop its growth.

Forth, it looks like you have an Model 1898 Rifle (nominal 30"barrel) and not the more valuable 22" barrel carbine. Even so, this rifle will likely fetch over $1000 USD.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The intials are "JSA" for J. Sumnar Adams, the Inspector of Finished Arms at Springfield Armory during almost all the Krag production period and into the M1903 era.

That is a beautiful rifle and I agree that it has been used very little. It probably came directly from the Army, never issued but stored away and later sold off when such rifles were selling for as little as $1.50 in the 1920's. Someone had the common sense not to cut it down for a hunting rifle.

The slightly mottled finish on the receiver is normal; those receivers were oil blackened as part of the heat treatment process and almost always turn that color over time. (A Krag with a nice rust blue receiver has been refinished; the oil blackening could not be repeated, so receivers that had to be reblued during rebuild were rust blued.)

Jim
  4. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Looks like the cocking piece has been turned down and knurled. Should not affect value much
  5. BD1023

BD1023 New Member

That is original. They were only made one year (believe from 1899-1900) in an effort to cut cost.

They're rather uncommon.

Also has been thru a rebuild as most were. It appears to have the 1902 sight.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Fjestad's "Blue Book" mentions that there are 25 variations of the 1898 model.

Rare variations and "original" increase value to collectors.

Wipe it down good with an oily cloth (do not forget the bore) in other inside spots. Do nothing to try to improve it as compared to just preserve it.

The right collector will likely pay dearly for it.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The change of sight does not mean the rifle was rebuilt. When there was a new sight developed, armorers were sent the new type and installed it. All the Krag rear sights were made to fit the existing screw holes. While a few rifles always seemed to escape the change, I suspect most of the "correct" ones in existence today were actually retrofitted using surplus older model sights.

I have always wondered where the BB gets those "25 variations", unless it means that there were that many changes from the Model 1896.

Jim
  8. frogman

frogman New Member

Great information about the rear sights, I've never seen it before until you experts put it on line. Thank you.