1903 Springfield sporter

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by josh68stang, Jul 13, 2010.

1. josh68stang

josh68stang New Member

Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum. So I hope this works. anyways, I have recently bought my first firearm, a 1903 Springfield with a sporter stock, serial number 1369936, which dates it to 1931 if i am correct? . Well i paid 250 for this gun just a month ago at a local pawn shop. The barrel is in super shape as well as the rest of the gun, and the bolt has the "R" stamp on the bottom side of the handle where it connects to the bolt body, that means it was Remington, is that original?. well it has no rear sight. it has a front post and scope and mounts with holes drilled into the receiver but the scope is garbage. where can i find a good rear sight? what would you suggest? How hard would it be to put a original style leaf setup on it??
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

3. josh68stang

josh68stang New Member

thank you gdmoody. I am happy with the sporter stock it has, but i want normal iron sights for now and am unsure about how to get what i need... I have done some looking around and found this http://northridgeinc.com/store/index.cfm/c170/i474
    would that part work on my gun? with a sporter stock? or do i need to convert to a military stock to make it work..?
  4. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

Wanted to chirp in here and toss out my two pennies worth. Your rifle sounds like a Remington 1903. Yes, that was the sight on it (the Buffington sight on the Northridge page) when it was a military rifle.

As you say the rifle has been sporterized, why not go with a decent Lyman receiver peep adjustable sight? I've had them on sporterized Springfields, and they are a very good field and target sight. Not too bulky, easy to use and much better than the Buffington style. Also, you can find a good Lyman sight for about the price you'd pay for that Buffington.

I have several Springfields in original configuration, and that Buffington rear sight isn't as easy to use as you might think. If you want to shoot - say 100 yards - you need to flip up the sight leaf and aim thru a tiny hole in the sliding leaf bar. It works, but a good peep adjustable sight is much better.

If the receiver had been tapped for scope mounts, it will be a chore to restore it to military configuration. You'd have to have the drilled holes welded over to fill them in, and as they are usually drilled on or near the factory markings, they will be noticeable, even after you have the rifle blued or parkerized.

A sporterized Springfield can be (and usually are) very good and accurate rifles. Any gunsmith worth his salt should be able to locate and install a decent rear sight for you without too much expense. Welcome to the site, and have fun with that rifle!
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  5. josh68stang

josh68stang New Member

Oh, well i am not gonna bother filling the holes in the receiver, I may want to get a new scope sometime and put it on the rifle, I will have to get ahold of a good Lyman sight. any suggestions of where to get one? i'm sure i can find one on my own tho, so no worries. But can i put it on the rifle myself? or do i have to take it somewhere to have it installed?? i'd like to not have to take my gun and pay someone to do it.
    thank you jim brady, your information helps greatly. (=
  6. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

I think you are onto a good plan by keeping it as it is. They are great rifles. As far as drilling and tapping for a receiver sight - I think I'd leave that to a decent gunsmith. You can likely find a used Lyman receiver sight on Ebay or one of those sites like that for under $50. I haven't used a gunsnith for a while, but I'd think that $50 to have them drill and tap it would be a fair deal.

The Lyman sight I have on my tack-driver Springfield is a Number 45, and it is click-adjustable both windage and elevation. I use it every now and then, but I found a really decent 3X9 power scope at a gun show for $30, and I'm an older shooter so a scope helps me. Off a bench with my M72 Match loads it will hit a dime size target at 100 yards (if I do my part!).

Good luck with that rifle and keep us posted!
  7. josh68stang

josh68stang New Member

Thank you Jim, i will keep you all posted on what i do with the gun. I know of a good gunsmith in my area, he actually built my dad a custom .300 ultra mag a few years ago for elk hunting. I'm sure he could do the work i needed.
    Im curious as of what these two drilled holes are tho on the side of the receiver, you can see that in the first picture.

Also notice my safety switch is different that others i have seen. why is that?

anyways. i have a picture of the front sight, which is a little off and it is obviously put over the marks R.A. and some numbers on the front of the barrel, and on the bottom of the barrel is a "P". and a "3" on the On/Off switch is visible when in the ON position.
    sorry for so many questions. i am just trying to learn the history of my gun.
    3rd, there is a picture of the brand or logo on the scope. I am unable to find anything out about it. anyone know anything???

Attached Files:

8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

This is the rear sight I put on my 03A3 for 1000 yaed competition and hunting back in 1948. Now that I'm a bit older :)D) I'm using scopes, but it did me well for many years.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/57-receiver-peep.php

You will need a taller front sight when you put the peep on the rear. One of these will do the job nicely. Write to Lyman and get their advice on which combination you want, as the front sight has to match the rear sight.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/target-front-sights.php

The "double peep" with a bead or post is very nice. The "triple peep" with the front ring sight installed in the hood is very fast, but not quite as precise on anything but a round bullseye target. I could get it to minute-of-rockchuck at 100 yards off hand, but that was about it.

Pops
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2010
  9. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I also shoot a sporterized Springfield with a Lyman sight.

[​IMG]
  10. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

Josh - with those pictures, it looks to me that your rifle is already drilled and tapped for that peep sight. Like I said, my rifle has a Lyman, and those pictures show that your rifle is drilled and tapped already exactly like mine. I think you lucked out. Thats exactly what those holes are that you were asking about.

As far as those other pictures, your rifle sure looks like a 1942 Remington from the stamps that I can see. The safety looks like one of the earlier 'after-market' safties that were made to replace the original military safety. The military safety would not work with a scope in place. I'd stick with that safety if you eventually put a scope back on it.

Armedandsafe is right - it would be a good idea to call or write the folks at Lyman and ask them for a good combination of front sight blade hieght to match their receiver peep sight. Every time I've talked to them they have been really nice, down to earth folks.

That 'off/on' switch on the left side is the magazene cut-off. When it is up 'on' the mag will feed normally as long as the bolt is fully cycled. When it is down 'off', the magazene is closed off and will not feed cartridges. That was an old, screwy idea that Army Ordinance had to force troops to conserve ammo.

The scope - when the vast quantities of military suplus rifles hit the market in the 60s, everybody started making scopes and stocks and gizmos to sporterize them with. I'd say that scope is a late 60s or early 70s made scope. Likely foriegn made. There are better ones out there today. When you get ready to shovel money into that rifle, the sky is the limit as to how much you can send on a scope. I'm happy with the one on mine, and it has no markings. 3X9 power, clear sight picture, has a range finder and displays the range the sight is sighted for in the field of view - all that and I bought it used for about $30. Just had to look around a bit to find it.

Don't worry about asking these questions. Everybody who comes here are into guns like you, and this is our hobby. I am an old guy, and I learn stuff here all the time. I ask questions, too, and it's not just the gray guys like me who have answers. Before you know it, you'll be helping somebody else out.

I'd post pictures of my guns, but I'm into 1950s and 1960s technology. I'm lucky to be able to power-up this computer. I do have a cell phone, but I can't text or twitter or whatever they call it. I make phone calls.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  11. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

For many many years, I hunted with a sporterized 03 A3 that my father built in the 1960's. I have also owned a number of em, all sporterized, over the years, and in addition to Dad's, which I will never ever sell, I currently have one that sits in a RamLine stock and wears a 3-9 Tasco scope that came from the local WalMart for the princely sum of $32. Dads will print under 2" at 100, but my "newer" one will shoot into half an inch consistently at the same distance. Good luck, enjoy it, and whether you choose the peep receiver site or replace the scope, you will have an acccurate rifle, either way. :)