1905 hunting mauser in 8X60 mag?? rare?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by schmalts, Feb 21, 2007.

1. schmalts

schmalts New Member

What is this gun worth?? What can you tell me about it? I am trying to find out the value for my uncle who got it when his dad died.
    Some stange things. The reciever says 1905 but i read that the 8mmX60 was a post WW1 thing. Rechambered? maybe, but when i took off the stock i still found proof marks on the barrel that resemble DWM markings that would match the reciever stamps. All matching numbers, even on the action screws.
    The floor plate is interesting because with the Oak leaves are very much a German thing that you see on swords and daggers, but the animal looks like a pronghorn lope and that is only a USA native critter.
    Double set triggers like a Mannlicher too. Stock is a real nice piece with a real nice checkered metal buttstock. Bore is unfortunatly not without some pitting from corrosive ammo is my guess.
    So, you experts take a look at the photos of the proofs, and tell me what it is and what it is worth?? I have seen that most hunting mausers were well over the $1500 range.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

I had a neighbor they called YUNK.

Yunk was a old WW I veteran and he had a weapon like that.

He called it his 8mm. He said it like as if it was all one word.

What you have there is probably a WW I army rifle that someone brought home or bought for next to nothing and then spent lot's of time and money to convert to a hunting rifle.

As far as a hunting rifle goes, it was a ok gun.

But nobody ever collected them.

Probably $100 - $1000 depending on who is buying and who is selling. The ammo might be hard to come by if it is a ba$tard round.

That gun is in pretty awesome shape.

Did you by any chance get any ammo to go along with the gun?

Basically it is a Mauser - read the article below.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser

8mm x 60 Guedes C 0.326 2.35 0.622 0.353 - 0.542 3.23 - -
    8mm x 60R Daudeteau C 0.323 2.355 0.627 0.347 - 0.533 - - 1898
    8mm x 60R Kropatschek C 0.331 2.335 0.618 0.349 - 0.541 - - 1885

8mm x 60R Rubin C 0.323 2.391 0.558 0.359 - 0.513 - - -
    8mm x 60S Magnum C 0.323 2.34 0.468 0.350 0.431 0.470 3.11 .217/5603 1918
    8mm x 60RS & R Magnum A 0.323 2.36 0.524 0.345 0.432 0.466 3.20 -

As you can see there are several different chamberings for that designation and you would have to mic the ammo to make sure you got the right ones.

http://members.shaw.ca/cstein0/metric.htm
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

What you have is a GEW 98 the somone put a lot of money that will never be gotten back.

If it were mine I would rebarrel it to a modern cal. This will not hurt the value and probably increase it. (Just my humble opinion

After World War 1, German civilians were forbidden by the Treaty of Versailles to own hunting weapons in a military caliber (such as 8mm Mauser). A new round with similar ballistics was therefore devised by RWS, and the rifles modified in a simple procedure to take the new round. Later, it became an popular hunting round in Europe., outclassing the 8mm Mauser and .30-06Springfield. It is still manufactured by RWS.

The 8x60mm ammo is a collectable and runs around $400 for 20 rnds

You can reload for this there is a lot of data if you seach 8x60mm reload
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  4. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

In my haste, I missed the photo of the 98' on the side of the gun.

22 WRF is right on the money though on his assessment of it's value.

I try not to say anything that would hurt another mans feelings about one of their prized possessions since I left another forum where I made a comment and the owner was offended!

My hint, was asking if you had the ammo and if you knew what chamber it had.

The first two offerings were pre 1900 and so most times you could rule them out.

The R Model was the most popular, but you had to know which one you had to be sure that the ammo you shot was the right one and to get some accuracy out of it. - You can get ammo for the R Models.

You cannot get ammo for the Pre 1900 models. It's very rare and very hard to come by..

More than likely the Magnum models were the conversion ones that 22 WRF was talking about that were used for hunting purposes. That is the one that my neighbor has - and it is also a model 98'. The USA shipped some of them over here after WW I and some of the troops brought them home and made wonderful hunting rifles out of them.

The Treaty of Versailles made it legal for countries to take a large part of their machinery and munitions as war booty to compensate the winners of WW I for the money they spent to fight against the Germans. Which was so harsh and the debt was so much that they would not have been able to pay off the debt before the year 2000. Which caused the Germans hard feelings that led to WW II..

Ammo for the magnum models can still be had, for the right amount of money. Again he is right that you would be better off to rechamber it to 30-06 or even .338 Winchester Mag if someone was willing to spend the money to do it.

It's ballistics was not that much better than a 30-30 Winchester..
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Crpdeth
  6. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I am in lust with that rifle. I love older Mauser rifles.
  7. schmalts

schmalts New Member

want to buy it??
  8. schmalts

schmalts New Member

There is one thing i am not buying yet. If someone brought this back home and did a rechamber, why would an american guy make it a 8X60 mag?? that is a bastard caliber and i find it hard to believe anyone would do that. My guess is this was maybe redone in germany, Maybe not.
  9. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Wasn't done in America

This why it was done in Germany.
    Could be GI bring back