1908 vest pocket colt 25 auto nickel and stag?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by fleetwood1976, Mar 10, 2011.

1. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

Just wanted to pop this little guy on for evaluation and discussion. It was part of a 3 gun deal. It dates to 1920. Did Colt have factory Stags on these? functions flawlessly. the lettering is very crisp and destinct but slide shows areas of possible re-nickel or polishing of original nickel. matching serial numbers. I am trying to determine a breakdown of this deal as far as gun value. I am rating this one as a $200 to $300 piece, possible more to the feller that falls in love with it. What do you think?

It is 95%+ condition wise, but In my opinion not 100% original. The forum is usually pretty harsh on refinished guns, But I see obvious redone pieces go for big bucks on auction sites. Do you think it is personal preferance or lack of knowlege?

I saw a 70's ruger blackhawk redone in nickel (not one of the rare factory originals) go for over $700.00. it was probably a $200 blackhawk to begin with.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  2. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

No real comments on the possible refinishing on this pistol, the price (as a carry gun) in the $200.00 range is not too bad. The real issue with refinished guns is that some/most people feel that the refinishing adds either dollar for dollar value to the gun or exponentially increases the value.
    Most refinishing work will reduce the value OF A COLLECTOR GRADE FIREARM to a collector. As a shooter, I would consider a refurbished gun at a fair price depending on the overall quality of that piece. A reblued gun done by a home gunsmith can be a good shooter, a reblued gun done by a master level gunsmith (and documented) could not affect the value of a collectors item.
    If you had documentation from Colt regarding any work on this pistol, your gun would be much closer to mint condition.

In the case of a online auction, I simply can not understand the prices, it seems a lot of people go a little crazy or simply lack better judgement.
    I wonder how much buyers remorse is felt?
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

It is my opinion that it has been refinished, but it was a very good job. The stag grips were available on special order from Colt, and are worth nearly $200 alone. I think the value of the pistol with these grips is around $450.
  4. fleetwood1976

that is comforting to know on the stags. I have never seen them. As I stated on the refinish the lettering is perfect, even under magnification. The refinisher must have really known what they were doing. I have always wanted one of these little colts but never wanted to pay what they were worth.

this one came with a new in box bisley vaquero stainless in 357. and a pre-war 32 regulation police S&W in blue that is a 98 to 99% original finish gun all for $1200.00. That is the most I have ever spent at one time on guns. But I couldn't see going home with out any of them.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't think you are guilty of larceny, but you didn't get badly hurt either if the S&W is as you say.

I agree the nickel is a refinish, but it might even be a factory job as it is very well done. IIRC, the safety and the trigger on nickel plated guns were case colored.

Jim
  6. fleetwood1976

Jim the smith is truly 98 to 99% possibly unfired. the bisley ruger new vaquero is new in box. I figured $400 each and that means I paid all the colt is probably worth and I feel the other two were bought very right. but The collector grade older guns aren't real hot right now. I hated to part with that much money, but I figure I am adding good quality pieces that shouldn't go down in value.
  7. fleetwood1976

P.S. beats the heck out of making .15% on $1200 in the bank.
  8. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

I agree with Wonder, the stag should add to this guns value. Plus, anything Colt and compact should help. Sounds like a fair deal to me Fleetwood, 3 guns, one NIB and one full of nostalgia! Congrats
  9. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Hey Cadillac,
    When we had real gun stores, before wally-world-gander mt-internet......
    I remember these stag grips. They were normal to see on nice guns.
    In an era a long time ago,everyone I knew carried a .25 auto and felt safe with the 'calbre'. [The .380 auto was also a norm]
    Even on knives, the real stag was a common handle.{see my Puma Skinner in 'knives'] Of course we have progressed to Pachmayr, Hogue, etc.
    This little .25 Colt is BEAUTIFUL !! Did I say BEAUTIFUL !! ?
    Please forgive my manners, I meant
    BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!
    Yes, it looks to be a factory re-nickel..... BUT so what? (refer to above)
    You probably ain't thunk it (southern dialect) but think about this when you look at how clear the stamping is.........
    When you re-blue you have to sand the gun. Not when you re-nickel.
    Have you ever seen how they re-chrome ? It is all 'dipped' in a vat, then another.....but not sanded. One finish removed in the tank, another finish applied.[simple version]
    My OPINION..........If I was so fortunate to possess this beauty, I would
    NEVER let it go !!!!!!!
    How many have you seen ? Held? Googled? Who cares? It's in your hands !
    Just let me know...something I have you would trade it to me for?
    I don't have any money at this time[another unemployed business owner]
    or I would offer to buy it.
    If you part with it -EVER-you will regret it.
    Just my honest opinion Brother. {did I mention she was BEAUTIFUL?}:cool:
  10. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

It truely is a beautiful pistol.
  11. fleetwood1976

ozo, I am pretty sure I will be dead when it sells and maybe even the wife, she likes it too. she absolutely loves the 32 regulation police. i have always wanted a colt 25, I have a titan tiger, neat gun but not a colt. I don't usually sell anything colt or smith. or anything american made for that matter. I cant believe how collectable rugers are now.

I am sort of self employed - unemployed too. Got let go at a factory last march and just do part time trade work for funeral homes. $1200 is like a months expenses for me. But I weighed the options, It ticked me off to pay $1200 but it would have ticked me off much worse to leave them there.
  12. fleetwood1976

Here are pics of the other two parts of the deal.

Attached Files:

13. fleetwood1976

sorry for picture quality but the smith has a little wear on the extrator rod and where the cylender has come out and that is about it. pictures don't do it justice.

Attached Files:

14. fleetwood1976

here is one of the ruger.

Attached Files:

15. fleetwood1976

last one, does anyone know how to make these pics smaller?

Attached Files:

16. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I doubt the refinish is factory, and I doubt Colt would have use stag of that quality for grips. Colt also wouldn't have gold plated the grip screw.
  17. KerryL

KerryL New Member

For whatever it's worth, my resource says that only a total of 17 Colt model M and N (1903 .32 cal., 1908 .25 cal. and 1908 .380 cal.) were shipped from Colt with stag grips. Chances are, this isn't one of them....but who knows?

Kerry
  18. fleetwood1976

might be worth a chance on a factory letter.
  19. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Smaller pics

Attached Files:

20. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Smaller pic

Attached Files: