1910 Mexican Mauser Conversion

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

smithbrl
    (12/5/01 2:53:13 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 1910 Mexican Mauser Chamber Pressure and other info
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are these M98 actions with 3 locking lugs and are they as strong as large ring Mauser 98 actions? Can I expect to load my ammunition to maximum loads from the reloading manuals or will I have to use reduced loads? I am planning on rebarrelling and chambering to 257 Roberts. This and any other useful information on this rifle will be most helpful.
    Thanks!

warpig883
    (12/5/01 3:57:01 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 1910 Mexican Mauser Chamber Pressure and other info
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome smithbrl I have no idea but hang in there and one of our guys will help you out in the morning.
    Know what?

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/5/01 6:35:01 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 1910 Mexican Mauser Chamber Pressure and other info
    Those 1910 Mexicans are ideal platforms for .257 Roberts.

I dont know what you mean by "maximum" loads. Never start with the maximum loadings out of any reloading manual - start on the low end and work up, looking for signs of excessive pressure such as flattened primers and difficulty opening the bolt. How the barrel is chambered and installed plays a big part in that.

All other things being equal, the action is strong enough (it is a 98 Mauser) to do just about anything you might want with the .257 Roberts.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Xracer
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/5/01 8:59:54 am)
    Welcome smithbrl. If you've got any more questions, just ask. If not, stick around a while and join in the fun.

smithbrl
    (12/6/01 8:42:20 pm)
    Thanks for your responses. This is a very enjoyable forum. I've learned a lot.

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (12/7/01 8:59:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    1910 Mexican Mauser Chamber Pressure and other info
    WELCOME Smithbrl
    Glad you are here.
    Drop in anytime and set a spell.
    WE are guns people here and none of us ever met a stranger!
    ENJOY
    Charlie D

K75RT
    (12/8/01 5:47:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 1910 Mexican Mauser
    The .257 Roberts developes about 46,000psi, it is an ideal cartridge for the SRM. If you are going to go the whole custom route and surface grind the front ring and recontour the rear bridge and lap the bolt lugs in, then it is recommended that you have the action carburized. There are a few firms that offer this work. If you can't locate one contact me. The Mexican actions can make a nice rifle!

smithbrl
    (12/9/01 2:34:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 1910 Mexican Mauser
    I recieved my Mexican Mauser but it has 1934 stamped on it. Does this change anything in the replies that I have received?
    The front ring will be removed, locking lugs will be lapped and the rear bridge will be contoured. What does "carburize" mean? I will be getting some kind of synthetic stock for the rifle and it will have a scope. I am open to any comments or suggestions ya'll may have as this is the first project like this that I have undertaken.
    Thanks

K75RT
    (12/9/01 8:10:30 am)
    The Mexican Mauser, Model 1910 was made by Fabrique National in Belgium. The metallurgy of the era was to use a relatively "soft" steel and then a hard skin was added through heat-treatment. You are going to grind the front ring to remove any crest and then recoutour the rear bridge; this removes the hard skin. You will want to have all of the accurizing work such as lapping the bolt, truing the front ring and drilling and tapping done prior to sending your action for heat-treatment.You will also want to have your receiver stoned to a #320 grit with no tool marks showing. Generally receivers and bolts are carburized to a depth of .030" to .040" and then the case is tempered to a Rockwell "C" scale range of 36 to 44. Some builders like to have the bolt with a slightly greater surface hardness, while not really necessary it is a personal choice. If you choose to have the bolt surface harder the range of hardness should be 40 to 48. Carburizing is the addition of carbon by several methods to a set depth, the carburizing adds a tough "skin" which is then tempered to the level listed above. I honestly would not build a Mauser of unknown metallurgy with out having it carburized. There are exceptions but not too many.

smithbrl
    (12/10/01 9:42:00 pm)
    Thanks for the additional input K75RT.

I need to find a barrel chambered for 257 Roberts. Any ideas? How much trouble is it to make a large ring barrel fit a small ring action? I see the Adams & Bennet barrels from Midway(price seems right) but the small ring barrel for 257 Roberts is only 21" long and I'd rather have a 24" barrel.
    I will appreciate any input.
    Thanks

K75RT
    (12/11/01 12:02:03 am)
    If I were shopping for a barrel I'd be looking at barrel blanks, unchambered and unthreaded. If you do all of the accurizing work and then use a barrel that was pre-threaded you've just done all the extras for nothing. Most barrels that are short chambered and pre-threaded are mass produced and use a 60 degree V-thread. The actual Mauser thread is a 55 degree Whitworth which adds strength. Shilen, Lilja, Hart, Pac-Nor...there are a bunch of excellent barrel blanks at reasonable prices. My problem with pre-threaded barrels is tolerance. Before you chamber a barrel you first center the bore of the barrel and you then cut your threads accordingly, therefore your chamber and threads are concentric. If you don't have access to a lathe then perhaps a Gunsmith should do your barreling, barreling an action is serious stuff, especially when you figure you are containing 46,000psi! Another nice thing with buying a blank you can buy different lengths, twists, contours and you name it. Check out www.brownells.com, they've got lots of blanks at nice prices.

GSF1200
    (1/8/02 9:16:02 pm)
    I'm looking for a extractor for a 1910 Mexican Mauser, if you know where I can get one, please email me. rbogart@cox-internet.com

K75RT
    (1/9/02 8:46:39 am)
    Try Springfield Sporters, Inc. tel# 724-254-2626
    fax# 724-254-9173
    If you believe it is reprehensible to possess the will and means to repel a criminal assault...how can you rightfully ask another to risk his life to protect yours?

HondoJohn6508
    (1/11/02 10:43:02 pm)
    If you plan to do all this work and plan to reload for the '98, I will to offer the following suggestion---have it chambered to the .257 Roberts Ackley Improved! You won't regret it. IMHO.

smithbrl
    (1/12/02 12:17:21 am)
    Hi HondoJohn. Thanks for your comments. I need all the help I can get. I will be reloading the cartridges. I've looked in the reloading manual and I saw the listing for the 257 Roberts Ackley Improved. Seems like they give from 100-200 fps improvement over the regular 257 Roberts. I didn't see anything about chamber pressure increase and that's one thing I'm concerned about. Do you have any info on that? What are your reasons for Ackley Improved?
    Thanks
    Cecil

HondoJohn6508
    (1/12/02 12:19:25 pm)
    I am a big fan of the 257 Ackley for the following reasons!
    First, it makes a good all around rifle for deer, antelope and a more than suitable varmint rifle. In the two rifles I have owned the 75gr and 90gr Sierra bullets have been extremely accurate. Two--once the cases are fireformed they have less of a tendency to stretch thereby reducing how often you have to trim the cases. P O Ackley in his writings/testing demonstrated that the improved case design reduced the amount of backthrust against the boltface. If you don't have his book 'Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders', you might want to buy/borrow, it makes for very interesting reading. The book was written a long time ago and everyone says to not use much of the reloading data because of the change in powders but you can use it for comparision to modern day manuals.
  2. tj3006

tj3006 New Member

I just bought a small ring mauser,98.
    this one is chamberd for the 7X57, Its already been sporterized and the guy did a real nice job. It looks like it was probably done 40 or 50 years ago and has not been used since.
    I have had a little trouble finding out for certain if it is in fact a mexican 1910. But based on the action length and distance beetween the stock screws, that is what I think it is.
    It has a standard mauser bolt schroud with a buhler type saftey. Not the knob found on most mexes. But that may have been changed out.
    It also has a very old timney trigger.
    All markings exept the serial # are gone. If the barrel is origional military who ever turned it and trimmed it to its currant 22 inches was damn good.
    it has a prety stock that is nicly finished but the for tip is just cut off strait.
    I loaded up some 140 grain bullets to try it out with the like new weaver steel tube K-4 on it. its cooler then heck , I want saturday to get here so I can try it out.
    If it shoots good it stays a 7 mauser (great round) if not ! 6mm remington.
    ...tj3006